Chapter 01 - DARCY

I could feel the pain even before my hands had smashed against the ground, I thought I was braced and ready for impact, but it was far greater an impact than I had anticipated. My grazed hands and elbows pushed my dirt covered face from the ground. Spitting what debris, I could from my mouth, I blinked rapidly. Knowing that the air I was breathing wasn't the same, my lungs felt heavy and strained. Each gulp of air became forced and difficult; I knew if I didn't get myself breathing slower I'd be leaving just as quickly as I had arrived.

My eyes scanned around, each part of this land, which to me was foreign in every way, but all the more intriguing. This was a place I had time to explore, and for once there was nothing creeping after me. I was free to be on my own and safe, but for the shortest second I could feel myself questioning if that was really true. Was I really safe here? The answer was probably no, but now was not the time to question. I began to force myself up into a standing position and take my first few and brave steps towards the thriving city that was placed firmly in the distance.

That would be my first stop.

This place was beautiful, and the longer I took to gaze at the land the more I saw. The earth around us was thriving with life, from every little nook and cranny, there was another creature bursting its way out into the overwhelming sun. I continued onwards, my feet slowly beginning to ache in the arch, it had been so long since I'd needed to walk, but now it felt like the right time. This was my time for a normal life, one I could accept and embrace with warm and welcoming arms and I was ready. As I neared the city, I began to hear the bellowing sounds of life, of people who were all busying themselves in their daily lives. The smell of the food was the first scent to define itself.

I could see myself falling deeper in love with this city, with the people who were all too busy to even offer me a second glance. To these people, I was nothing more than just another face they would pass in the crowd. As my feet drew to a standstill outside of what I can only imagine was a place named Heaven, I found a woman whose eyes were alight with the same amazement as mine. I gazed happily at the sweet smelling treats that were tucked away safely behind the glass window, with this woman by my side. Her ocean blue eyes passed over me easily, a flicker of a smile gracing her lips along with only one word.

"Hello," her tone was so light and breezy, it was almost like she approached people on a daily basis just to say 'hello'. I offered her a smile, but found myself turning away, unsure of my next move. How did people honestly greet one another here?

"Are you new to town?" The light playful tone of her voice rang through my ears once more, she was attempting to start a conversation with me. Was I truly going to be so rude and outright ignore her?

"Hello there." The clipped sound of my words were not what I had intended for, they were supposed to sound just as breezy and welcoming as hers. But I'd failed already, there was evidence of an underlying fear in every word.

"Oh sorry, please excuse my manners. My name is Paisley, and you are?" Her hand was outreached and prepared to grasp mine within seconds, and I was already taken aback. She was so fearless in her approach to people, there was no fear, no worry, just genuine wonder.

"Sorry, my name is Darcy." My hand was firmly locked with hers and within moments a smile had claimed her entire face. Until the smallest laugh escaped through her lips.

"I must admit, and please don't take any offence to this but you look a little battered and beaten. Has it been a long day for you?" I wanted to state it had been the longest year, but there would only be confusion. Until I glanced at the shop window I was in front of, and finally caught a glimpse of my appearance. The once tidy and pristine look I had was now erased, and replaced with a much messier and un-kept look. There was dirt covering my arms and hands, and my hair was all but tameable. I even caught a small glimpse of the tiny tears that were randomly placed across my clothes.