Chapter 13 - GOHAN

After pulling myself away from the conversation with Darcy, I found everyone all tucked up on the highest balcony with the best view of the Arena. They'd all placed themselves along, ready and waiting for Tien and Almone to start their match. It was a Human vs. Human match, something we hadn't properly seen in a long time. We'd finally get to see Tien fight once again, and see how much he'd improved in such a short amount of time.
"What should we expect from Tien today?" My father was the first to speak, his curiosity always being peaked by the idea of power and fighting. I stayed back from the group slightly, just observing how they were all acting with one another.
"I'm not sure, but I know he's been doing some special training on the side, he's even been keeping some little secrets from me. It's really unusual behaviour for Tien, so whatever he has to show it must be important." Chiaotzu's voice chimed in, catching us all off guard. He'd always been Tien's training partner, but for him to not be involved in all of Tien's training spoke a thousand words.
"I guess we'll just have to wait and see, this should be interesting." Piccolo's voice was always the sound of reasoning, and it hadn't changed this time around either. It wasn't until I caught a glimpse of something moving out of the corner of my eye that I became curious. Darcy had finally reappeared after our conversation, her eyes glazed over and showing no form of emotion other than being completely calm.
She snuck her way back into the group finding a place not too far from my father, his eyes soon caught sight of her, and as he did he moved. His body, stopped once it was beside her. Every movement was careful but carefree, even as he patted her on the back, which caused her to pull the smallest smile across her face.
Whatever was happening there was something to be concerned about, but what and why?

This was such unusual behaviour for my father, he'd never be so close to another woman unless it was either Chichi or Bulma, they were the only two women he'd ever been fully comfortable with in every kind of manner. I stayed back just watching, knowing that every little bit was forming a bigger story.
"I'm still so excited to see Yamcha go up against No.18 aren't you guys?" Goku chimed in again, drawing everyones attention back on to him. This was something that my father had ways with, always being the centre of attention without having to try too hard.
"Goku shut up, it's going to be so easy honestly. It's just going to be a bit of fun right No.18?" Yamcha was uneasy as he spoke not really sure how to joke around with such a serious person, he even tried to nudge her just for a bit of fun but No.18 was famous for her love of money. And knowing there was a huge prize to be won, would be enough to make her push herself to win this match. The tensions between the two were slowly rising, as Tien and Almone both fought on down on the arena. It was easy to see that Yamcha was becoming more and more nervous with every second that passed by. And for a moment everyone in the group went silent as they focused on the action that was happening only a short distance away in the arena. The sounds of Tien's punches echoed throughout the arena, along with those caused by Almone. Both men had such strength within themselves, that whenever they managed to land a blow to one another the impact was causing a small buckle in the air around them. The ripples were slowly becoming visible to the human eye.

You could see everyone trying to relax and ease the tensions that were slowly rising, until they heard a bell sound from down on the arena floor. Everyone's attention turned to face the noise, eyes alight with wonder and curiosity.
"That's it ladies and gentleman. We have a WINNER!" I pushed forwards leaning on the banister along with everyone else, who'd all fallen silent at the results. We couldn't hold our breath any more than we already had.
"Tien..." Krillin was the first to break the silence, his voice barely audible amongst the audience who were cheering down below.
"I can't believe it." No.18 came up beside Krillin, her hand falling on to his shoulder as they continued to stare down at the arena, I noticed how gently she squeezed, and the two shared a brief caring glance to one another.
"He couldn't have..." Goku chimed in next, his voice rigid with tension. Knowing that he couldn't do anything but wait and watch, he stared down as well. Everyone else stayed quiet, even risking a quick glance at Darcy she was tense through and through, her face showing the tension in her stern look. The features looked unnatural on her slightly plump face, her cheeks puffing up ever so slightly with the look.
"He lost, I can't believe he lost. Did anyone see how that happened?" Yamcha's voice was shaky, crocking as he spoke. But it wasn't until he'd spoken that I'd realised we were a member down. Chiaotzu had vanished from sight, and was now no where to be seen. He hadn't said a word to anyone, but he couldn't be far away.
Goku turned away from the arena, beginning to pace alongside Piccolo and Vegeta who were both still and watching, not saying a word. Finally he spoke, turning his attention to the group.
"Who was he up against again?" Everyone was watching my father, as he slowly walked back and forth in front of us, his eyes never once leaving the ground. His hands were violently brushing themselves through his hair, showing how tense he was.
"It was someone called Almone." Piccolo was the first to answer, not knowing how Goku was going to react, he was tense, we all were but Tien had lost and there wasn't anything else we could do.
"Almone? Do any of us know anything about him?" Goku's eyes flashed quickly over all of our faces, until he landed on Darcy's where he held her gaze for a moment longer than any of ours.
Everyone, including myself had fallen silent not wanting to say anything. Knowing that our answer would not be enough to satisfy my father, we didn't know and neither did he. But we'd missed something vital, we'd missed the first main match where one of our own had lost.

A member of our group had just lost, this was impossible. We should have been watching, focusing and understanding. Learning every move he had, in preparation. Not knowing that one of us would have to go up against him, Almone.

"I'm going down to make sure he's okay, Yamcha, No.18 you guys had better get ready, you'll be up next." Darcy was the one to take command, and began walking off towards the doors which lead downstairs. No one said anything as she walked off, but I could see my father watching her so carefully as she made her way away from us. It was impossible not to notice, but yet everyone else seemed oblivious to what was happening.
"Darcy's right, we need to check on Tien. And Yamcha, No.18... You guys need to put on a nice fight for everyone, make it nice and cheerful for everyone. Turn this show around, I know how the other are going to be feeling about this, they'll be disheartened. We can't give up on them." Another of my father's speech's filled the air, and I knew that they would all listen to him. He was right, even though it had been Darcy's idea first of all, but she was gone now and there was no way she was ever going to be one of our group, she'd never fully fit in, not now.
"We will, we won't let you down." Yamcha's voice was excited and proud, ready for the fight that he and No.18 were about to go through. Slowly but surely we all made our way downstairs towards the main arena and doctor's room. Darcy was already at the door to the doctor's room, leaning on the door frame her fierce dyed red hair hung down along her back, almost hiding her dainty frame. Her arms crossed, but a smile on her face. She must have been talking with Tien, as we approached her she turned to face us. Her eyes lighting up ever so slightly when she caught sight of us, or was it just my father?
"Guys," Her welcome was quiet and gentle and soon enough we were all there around her, gazing into the room. Minus Yamcha and No.18 who were now up and ready to go for their fight against one another.
"Tien, what happened?" I finally broke my own silence, the words tasting foreign on my tongue. As the very sound of my voice, Darcy was the one to watch me, her eyes alight as I spoke watching my every move. I could finally see Tien, he was bandaged up already, his arm strapped up against his chest, his eyes humorous and bright, but you could see his pride had taken a hit.
"It all happened so fast, Gohan. I tried to fight him off, but he caught me off guard so quickly I barely had a chance to fight back, and what little fight I did have just wasn't enough. I was just telling Darcy here, the speed that man moved was so unnatural. I don't think this tournament is your run of the mill tournament." Darcy was nodding beside me, as she watched Tien talk. We all didn't really know what to say, we were all taken off guard, and now we were all shaken.

This was too much, too soon. We'd all come into this so carelessly.

It wasn't until a few moments later, we'd all taken a seat around Tien's bed, a light laughter filling the air around us. We'd all stayed in whilst Yamcha and No.18 had their match, knowing it wouldn't be long until we would have to prepare ourselves for the next match. This time it was going to be Piccolo against someone called Cain. We weren't prepared, but we knew out of all of us the only one who truly would be, would be Piccolo.
"Do you have yourself a game plan for your fight?" I could tell that Tien was desperate to know what Piccolo was planning for his match against his opponent.
"I've come up with some ideas, but I won't be able to process any of them until I'm on the field. I'll put them all to test there, really draw this guy's energy out." His arms unfolded for the briefest second as Piccolo came forwards, placing his hand on Tien's shoulder.
"Don't worry my friend, I'll use your match as a valuable lesson. It will not have gone unnoticed. I value your worry but don't, this will go in my favour. I promise." Other than how Piccolo had always been with me, this was the most relaxed and carrying I'd ever seen him towards another member of our group. He was shaken, and this was his way of saying 'I'll do my best.' I took my place beside Piccolo and turned to face him, his eyes locking with mine instantly.
"I know you are going to do amazing, but win it for Tien." The group watched and listened as I spoke, my words filling the room. I was being honest and true and knew down to my very soul that Piccolo would do his absolute best to the fight, not only for himself but for all of us.
Watching the moment unfold was beautiful, it was beginning to make me truly appreciate how far we'd grown together as fighters, martial artists and as friends.

That was until I'd noticed both Darcy and my father had vanished once again.