Chapter 28 - DARCY

I stood there, knowing there was nothing I could do. Cain's arms were locked around me, keeping me close to his body, but now the thought was filled with nothing more than sheer disgust. He'd seen it, Goku had seen me in his arms, I was trying my hardest to wrap my head around what he could be thinking, but I daren't think of the answer. I knew how it must have looked.

"Hey, come on Darcy lets carry on." Cain was pulling himself closer to me, his lips aiming for my neck. With one hard shove I pushed him back, knowing I had to find Goku. Once Cain was back I could tell the look on his face was one filled with hurt, rejection.

"Was it something I did?" The puppy dog eyes glanced over at me, the slight mop of hair began falling into his eyes, I turned away not wanting to feel any more guilt than I already did.

"I'm sorry, I have to go. I'll see you in the arena." Turning away, I almost broke out into a full blown run aiming myself in the same direction as Goku had left in. I got to the entrance to the training arena, turning the corner I started gazing every which way for Goku, but it was too late he was gone.

"I thought you were too preoccupied to see me?" The sound of the voice was harsh, bitter. Even the sound of it left a foul taste lingering on my tongue. As I turned around I found Goku leaning casually against the wall, his eyes closed and his stance focused. I tried to take a step forwards, but I knew he was on high alert.

"I'm sorry, but what you saw..." The words were lost, no matter how hard I tried searching for them, I couldn't find them. I couldn't find an answer for what he'd just seen.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me Darcy, I just wanted to wish you good luck. So, good luck." It was the most tense I'd ever seen him. But with that last word luck, he left me alone whilst he was strolling off back to the V.I.P area that Bulma had got.

I watched him walk away, knowing that whatever had just happened was beyond my power to control. With a brisk sigh I turned back to the training arena, the sound of the crowd was echoing throughout the stadium, becoming livelier by the second. Until, the audience fell silent. There was nothing but peace and quiet and then the sound of a bell.

The fight was over.

I hadn't realised that No.18 had already been called in and that her fight had already been underway. I quickly paced to the exit of the arena, waiting to see her content face walk through, but it didn't. I waited, longer and longer until the moment seemed to drag on forever. Surely she should be walking back by now, but as I waited I caught sight of Almone, her opponent walk out, his eyes a meddling intensity that only a man of his stature could pull off. Finally, No.18 came into view, her skin was grazed, almost from head to toe. I could tell she was shaking even from the distance I was at, I ran over to her hoping she would have an answer as to what had just happened. But once I got close enough, I could see it.

The fear.

Her whole body was shacking and the look in her eyes would be enough to haunt me for moments long to come. As soon as she stopped after taking a couple more steps into the training arena, lifting her eyes up she met mine with such sadness. It almost seemed like she'd been crushed and put back together as a broken women. I waited, placing my hand on her back I felt her flinch beneath my touch, even with the delicate hand I had.

"No.18, please say something." Watching her made this all the more painful, I needed her to tell me what to do, what would help her feel better? She blinked before dropping her gaze to the floor, the sheer look of terror still scrawled across her face.

"I didn't stand a chance Darcy, I tried... I tried so hard, but it was useless." The woman looked lost, until she took in a long deep breath. Her eyes lifted back up to meet mine, she swallowed hard and with that she was fine. Her entire outer shell had changed, she was almost a different woman. Flicking her bobbed blonde hair back, she shook out her limbs before turning to face me head on.