Chapter 61 - A Poisonous Cure

Start from the beginning

Lord Jin whistled, "The Queen to be has beautiful taste."

One of the accompanying ministers chuckled, "This was all of the Emperor's doing, he brought the queen flowers of her homeland and redid this pavilion so that she would not miss home."

Jin raised an eyebrow, looking at the emperor in the front. A corner of his mouth rose imperceptibly.

As the walked to the magnificent pavilion, a maid hurried out to meet them. She bowed to the party, "Your majesty, the queen said she will be waiting for you at the Gilded Pavilion.

They followed her until they reached a small pavilion, covered in sheer gold chiffon. A woman sat in the center of the pagoda, her figure obscured by the fluttering sheer cloth, giving her a dreamlike quality.

The Emperor approached his wife-to-be, "Hua er, I'd like to introduce you to the dignitaries from Shu Le." The woman turned to face them.

Shan Ying Lang, or Lord Shan in his magical disguise could not hide his dismay. The vibrant and youthful woman seemed to have wasted away until she was a shadow of her former self. Had it only been months since they talked? Why did she look so weak?

She coughed, the hint of blood on her lips giving her a look of sickly beauty, "My lords, you'll have to forgive me for not getting up. I am not feeling well today."

Lord Jin smiled and bowed, "No matter, it is a pleasure to meet one of the most beautiful woman in this realm."

Hua er did not smile, nor show any hint of interest. She merely nodded and turned to the Emperor, "My lord, what do you need me for?" Her voice was as cool to him as it was to the strangers.

"They bring a gift, one that can make you better." The Emperor knelt in front of his queen to be, "Accept it and get well, we have many years to look forward to, you and I." He sounded as if he was begging her. Hua Er looked down. Zhu Ming sighed and got up, he looked meaningfully at Lord Jin.

Lord Jin smiled, "Yes, I have something that the Empress may be very, very interested in. If your majesty permits, I would like to have a few minutes alone with the Queen."

The Eunuch beside the emperor frowned, "That is highly improper, Lord Jin."

Lord Jin bowed, "Forgive me, my lord, but this is the rarest of all medicines. And the proper way to use it has been passed down my family from father to son. When we give this gift, we can only reveal how to use it to one person. And they must be sworn to secrecy."

The Emperor stared at him hard, and then he turned to Hua Er, whose face seemed to waste away faster every day. He gritted his teeth, "Very well. We will wait for you across the pavillion, where we can see you, but not hear this secret."

Lord Jin bowed, "The emperor is too kind."

Emperor Zhu Ming huffed, turning sharply and walking away.

Jin smiled as they left. He cleared his throat, "Little mortals and their games." With a flick of his finger, his power flew to the six corners of the pavilion, an invisible barrier grew between them and the outside world.

On the invisible barrier, it showed an image of Lord Jin talking respectfully to Hua, but inside the barrier, Jin had shed his human disguise. Long hair, untied, hung to his waste. His handsome yet devilish face showed a hint of a smile. His eyes turned back to that of the trademark gold of the immortals.

Hua Er watched all of this silently, she placed a hand under her chin and pour tea with the other. "So, Lord Jin, are you a demon or a god?"

Jin smiled, "A little bit of both, actually." He frowned at her, "You don't seem surprised."