twenty-nine; home

Mary felt sick to her stomach as she rushed towards the limp body, her heart beating at a quick pace before she collapsed to her knees, panting heavily. It was Charlie.

       She turned his damp body over that was awfully pale, the skin around his closed eyes hollow and she gripped onto his face, "I'm here. I'm right here. I've got you," She whispered, running her hands over his face but the boy was unresponsive which was when she realised his chest wasn't moving, "Charlie?" She croaked, her voice breaking as her face fell, suddenly being washed over with dread as she gripped onto his freezing cold face.

      She looked over her shoulder in panic, "He's not breathing!" She cried in horror and Corina quickly hurried to her side, crouching down and taking a hold of Charlie's hand and Mary's.

      "Think of home, Mary. Get us out of here."

      Mary rapidly nodded, closing her eyes and imagining her trailer, right down to every little detail and soon Corina's mind was being flooded by the images as the smoke swirled around them and yet again, with a poof of smoke they had transported somewhere else.

      Mary opened her eyes which widened upon realising she wasn't at her trailer and instead sitting in the middle of the stret outside the Library, still inside The Upside Down and the girl looked around, slightly damp hair hitting the side of her neck, "Corina, why are we here? This isn't home!" She exclaimed in horror, looking back down at Charlie's motionless body as her bottom lip began to tremble.

       Corina seemed just as confused as her as she looked around, "I don't know." She admitted and Mary let out a weak sob of defeat before clutching tighter to Charlie's face, her body lurched over his.

        "Charlie come on, wake up. Open your eyes, god dammit! Charlie!" She was screaming, tears burning in her eyes so furiously that she could hardly see as her body rattled with now panicked sobs. He wasn't waking up.

       "Mary?!" The girls head snapped up, her mouth falling open and her eyes widening upon the sight of her father trudging towards her in a yellow bodysuit, an alive but barely Will Byers in his arms and Mary felt her heart sink slightly - he was alive and Charlie wasn't.

       "Dad!" She cried, getting to her feet and rushing to him as Joyce now took her son, letting the tired boy sit down with an oxygen mask over his mouth.

       Mary reached her father, clutching onto his arms tightly and that's when Corina realised why they were there. Mary had thought of home and she did lead her there, to her father, "He's not breathing, dad! He's not breathing!" Mary sobbed up at him, her face full of terrified desperation and Jim's eyes travelled to the body of Mary's ex-boyfriend laying on the ground before he rushed to his side and Mary stepped back.

       "Mary, get down here and help me, we need to clear his airways," Jim said as he positioned himself on the ground beside Charlie. But Mary was unresponsive, she was starting to go into shock, "Mary Hopper, get your ass down here and help me save his life!" Mary slowly but surely fell down beside them, her body and hands shaking as she waited for her fathers instructions.

       "I'm going to give him CPR. What I need you to do is breath into his mouth alright? You with me, baby?" He asked her, reaching over to grip the back of her head and she nodded, her skin sticky with sweat as Joyce and Corina watched the scene unfold. Jim kissed his daughters forehead, "Good girl."

      "Okay, Mary. I need you to tip his head back, his chin facing up. Can you do that, sweetheart?" She nodded as her father readied himself and she tipped Charlie's head back with shaky hands, tears dripping down her cheeks, "Alright, let's go." Jim started compression's, pushing down onto Charlie's chest with his fists whilst Mary sat limply beside him, watching everything her father seemed to do but suddenly she was reminded of a distant memory.