sixteen; the other side

Mary had left the trailer whilst the sky had still been light, however, when she had pulled over on the side of the road near the woods at a phone box, the sky had casted into a dark blue — signalling night was almost due

           The girl got out of her car, closing the door quietly behind her, not wanting to disturb any creature — especially the faceless one, that could be inside the woods only a little away from the phone box.

            She hurriedly clambered inside, wincing in the cold air as she pulled out some change from her pocket and stuck it in the coin slot before dialling her desired number — one she hadn't called in two months.

            The phone rang and for a moment, Mary was sure that the other end wouldn't pick up before a voice finally answered, "Hello?" A polite voice answered and Mary perked up upon hearing the sound of her step-fathers voice — as her mother liked to put it. But Mary only had one father and his name wasn't Bill, it was Jim.

           "Oh, hey Bill. It's Mary, is my mom around?" She asked, leaning up against the booth with the phone against her ear.

            "Yeah, she's just putting the kid to sleep. Give me a moment and I'll go get her." Bill said before the line went silent and Mary wrapped the phone cord around her finger. She couldn't help but feel slightly bitter; her mother was leading a completely different life from her that involved money, a new little girl and a husband that wasn't Jim Hopper.

           Mary hadn't even seen her sister yet, well, half sister. But she didn't even want to. She didn't want to get attached to someone she'd hardly see — since Diane made it her life goal to never step foot back in Hawkins, she said it were too traumatic to her. Mary thought it was complete bullshit. Hawkins didn't kill her sister, cancer did.

            "Mary? Hello, sweetie. How are you —"

            "Have you heard from dad?" Mary eagerly spoke over her mother whom went silent and Mary's eyes widened in realisation, "Oh my god, you have. Mom, what did he say? Was he alright? Did he say anything important or where he was going or —"

              "Mary, is your father not with you?" Diane asked in horror and concern, "He called earlier — he was drunk, honey. He's probably out on one of his famous benders. Look, I know you don't like the idea of it but I think you should come live with me in —"

             Mary quickly interjected her mother, "No, you know what, it's alright. I just remembered — he's working late at the station tonight," She lied and Diane tried cutting in with quick words but Mary bet her to it, "I've got homework to catch up on. Bye, mom." She hurried out, bringing the phone from her ear before slamming it down and leaning her back against the booth.

           She closed her eyes, wondering what on earth had happened to her father. She hadn't really saw him for two days straight and her mom had said he had called her whilst drunk — but where was he? Where could Jim Hopper have disappeared to without doing so much as letting his only daughter know?