seventeen; freezing cold

Mary had never felt so cold

       Mary had never felt so cold. It weren't just her skin that was freezing, it were like her whole insides was turning to ice and that soon they would freeze over. But then again, that could have been from the snow falling from the sky.

The young Hopper had never saw something like what she was witnessing after she had finally got to her feet. She were exactly where she had last been, in the exact spot, except she were on the other side of the tree. And not just the other side of it, literally the other side.

It were like she had entered a completely different world, although it were still hers — she were still in fact in Hawkins woods. However, the difference was that it was a stomach churning blue and the atmosphere and temperature was just as cold as the horrible shade everything else was.

Mary found herself moving forward, shivering as she went, "Nancy?" She whispered, air blowing out from her lips and she swallowed hard when she got no reply. Momentarily glancing back to the hole in the tree and debating on rushing back.

But yet her body made her continue forward in the search for Nancy, "Wheeler? Nancy, are you here?" Mary called out although her voice as quiet, afraid that here were certain evils lurking on the other side of Hawkins.

When the sound of something snapping filled her ears she stopped, one foot in front of the other, her hands slowly reaching around for the gun in the back of her trousers, her eyes open wide and searching her surroundings.

Suddenly, something was crashing into her and a hand covered her mouth as she was pushed a few feet aside until she was pressing her back up against the trunk of a tree, breathing out heavily.

Nancy was at her side, her cheeks red and her shoulders heaving with each deep breath she took although she were trying to hold it in, which only made her more breathless, "Nancy, what is —"

"Shhh," Nancy whispered over her, holding her finger to her lips and Mary pursed her lips together, "It's here. It's coming after me. Mary, please, be as quiet as you can." She pleaded her, tear stains on her cheeks and her tiny body shaking.

Mary breathed out, leaning her head against the tree before the sound of footsteps filled her ears and she could hear a distinct grunting and she brought her hand up to cover her mouth, to try and silence her harsh and erratic breathing.

Both girls stood terrified, unaware that the creature lurked only a little behind them, exactly as Joyce Byers had described it — only more terrifying if possible. It were as if it could sense them, but just hadn't figured out where they were yet.

Nancy looked down, trying to look anywhere but the horror of a dimension she was inside which was when she suddenly noticed the tear in Mary's jeans at her knee, "Mary, what happened?" She whispered, her voice so small the girl almost didn't hear her.