twenty-seven; let me go

Mary's heart was erratically beating in her chest as she held onto the axe so tightly her fingers turned white

         Mary's heart was erratically beating in her chest as she held onto the axe so tightly her fingers turned white. They had scared the monster off for the time being, but it was only a matter of time until it returned — and they had to be ready.

          Steve was in shock, murmuring to himself as Corina stood in a silence, her face looking more curious than afraid, "You all need to get out of this house right now," She suddenly spoke up and when Nancy opened her mouth to argue, she bet her to it, "You's can't take that thing on, it's impossible! You need to run." She insisted, her eyes getting a distant look and Mary squinted her eyes at her as she rushed to her side.

           "You're the ones that need to run. Get out of here, get in my car and drive — don't look back, just go." She ordered, but the girl seemed to be adamant she wasn't leaving, her face the most serious Mary had ever saw it be.

            Corina was suddenly grasping at Mary's arms, her fingernails curling into her skin, "Mary, you need to leave — if you stay it'll take you, or worse, it will kill you. It'll kill all of you." She pleaded, her face paler than usual and Mary tilted her head, eyebrows pulling downwards as she realised the tone of the girl's voice.

           "You're not afraid," She whispered, her eyes locking onto Corina's whom held her gaze, swallowing hard. Mary edged closer, "Corina, do you know something we don't?" She asked her quietly, both girls stuck on each other's eyes and Corina opened her mouth before she sealed it shut again, instead looking up as the sound of the ceiling cracking filled their ears.

          Mary stepped back, her heart returning to its thumping pace as she looked up to where no doubt the creature was about to resurface from, "Steve, Corina. Get the hell out now!" Jonathan yelled, gripping onto his baseball bat in anticipation.

          Steve was still rooted to the ground and so Nancy rushed to his aid, grasping onto him, "Its coming back. You need to leave, right now." She demanded and Steve looked up, his eyes meeting Mary's whom nodded once in agreement and slowly but surely, Steve started retreating to the door.

           Soon he was gone and Mary looked to Corina whom took the sunglasses off her head, giving her a stern look, "I'm staying." She insisted and Mary stayed silent for a moment, contemplating one before she sighed.

            "Grab a weapon." She said, gesturing to the loot of various weapons they had on standby as the girl took off her tight leather red jacket and threw it onto the couch.

             "I don't need one." It wasn't until that moment that Mary caught the glimpse of the tattoo on Corina's wrist, sporting a number she couldn't make out and her eyes widened, ready to speak to the girl but just at that moment the monster came crashing through the ceiling.

              Mary stumbled backwards as it hit the ground, the lights all around her flickering crazily, making it hard to see, "Where is it?!" She screamed, whipping around, hair slapping against the side of her face as she held tightly to her axe.