four; jealousy

Mary's night had been restless

Mary's night had been restless. She found herself wandering the trailer plenty of times, her eyes usually lingering on her car out front, considering getting in it, driving away and never coming back. But she didn't, she just continued to slouch around the trailer unhappily.

Sometimes, Mary didn't realise how selfish she could be in that moment. But that was a flaw she recognised and she hated it, which were why she usually tended to ignore it; she'd never apologise, even when she knew she were in the wrong, especially with her father.

She had flicked between channels on the TV, although it were no use because she mostly just got static and after a while of trying, she had given up and opted for using the house phone instead.

She had sat in the hallway, draped in a large oversized top that belonged to Charlie, her knees pulled to her chest with the top pulled over her legs and her back against the wall, her hair easily flung into a bun on top of her head.

She had called Charlie, letting him know that she couldn't go over to his place and after she had explained the fight with her father, he had understood. She had then dialled the Harrington Household, hoping that Steve would be home and she could speak with him.

Although when the phone was answered, she was met with Mrs Harrington's voice, "Hello, Mrs Harrington. It's Mary. Is Steve home?" She had asked, swirling the telephone wire around her finger, shivering a little in the cold air.

Mrs Harrington was silent for a moment before she had answered, "He's not with you? He said he was going over to Charlie Williams' house tonight and that you would be there." His mother had said, her voice holding concern and Mary's lips had parted in realisation; Steve had gone to Nancy's and used them as an excuse.

"Oh you're right, that's where he went — I stayed at home tonight. It's far too chilly outside to go anywhere. I'll just speak to him tomorrow." She had quickly rushed out, assuring the mother that her son was in fact at a friends house.

Mrs Harrington sighed in relief, "Thank god, you had me a little worried there, Mary!" She exclaimed with a chuckle and Mary forced out a laugh, but her face was miserable.

"I'm really sorry, Mrs Harrington. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

"You too, Mary." And then the conversation had ended, but still Mary sat with the phone to her ear, pressing the back of her head against the wall as she closed her eyes and exhaled.

She and Steve were close — maybe even more so than her and Charlie. But they had grown up together, right next door before Mary had moved to the outskirts of town. They had shared secrets, inside jokes and many laughs. As incredibly shallow and selfish as it sounded, Mary was a little jealous that Steve was spending time with someone other than her and the rest of the group. Especially Nancy Wheeler.

The younger girl was picture perfect. Whilst Mary, to her peers could be deemed as hot and a little sexy with her long toned legs always on show with her shorts and her snarky attitude, Nancy was the complete opposite.

She were pretty, beautiful even. With delicate features and a gentle voice. She was kind and compassionate and always got her head down, especially in class. She was intelligent and if she didn't live in a town like Hawkins, she could have seriously gone places. However, Mary knew that good little Nancy Wheeler was destined to follow in her mothers footsteps and become a suburban housewife with many kids and a boring husband.

But still, the fact that Nancy Wheeler had managed to snatch away the attention of her best friend was making her slightly jealous. Especially when Steve used her and Charlie as a cover story to his parents.

The rest of her night had been waiting for her father to come home, when eventually at 1am she had given up and had went to bed. Trying to rid herself of guilt from her previous conversation with him although it had taken her ages to fall asleep.

When she woke the next morning, she showered quickly before getting dressed, throwing on a pretty blue shirt with white polkadots her mother had sent in the mail. Followed by her usual shorts and knee high brown leather boots — and a denim jacket.

"Dad!" Mary yelled before she had even went into the living room, grabbing her car keys from her bed side drawer and then her bag, "Get your lazy ass —" The blonde had stopped in the entry to the living room, surprised to see that her father was nowhere to be seen and she found herself worrying, until she spotted the note on the coffee table.

She furrowed her brows, picking up the note and reading over it with her brown curious eyes, "Went to work early. Come straight home from school." She read aloud, one hand on her hip and the other holding the piece of paper.

             She sighed, putting it back on the coffee table before leaving the trailer and getting in her car — where her own father's car was usually resting right beside it, as he was in the trailer. With a roll of her eyes, she reversed the car and began driving to school.

———

How do you all feel about Mary at the moment? And her relationship with her dad? Anyone having a sixth sense of development?