thirteen; the body in the quarry

Jim had picked Mary up no more than a few minutes after the whole fiasco with Jonathan

Jim had picked Mary up no more than a few minutes after the whole fiasco with Jonathan. He had asked how her day had been, but Mary had simply grumbled in reply, not wanting to get into the details of how shitty it had been.

And from there, he had taken her to the local library, where Powell was already waiting for the Chief to return with his daughter; he had explained how he wanted her to learn the basic research of missing people's cases and Mary was excited to be apart of her father's police work.

However, after being there for a while and reading up on the sketchy and always quiet Hawkins Laboratory, Powell had been radioed by Flo whom had told them that they needed to get to the Quarry immediately.

Mary's knee had jittered the whole time that her father had put the sirens on and sped to the Quarry. Both thinking horrible and unthinkable thoughts — all including the mystery of little Will Byers.

Finally pulling up on the pebbled ground, Mary and her father hurriedly got out of the car where loads of other vans and vehicles were, including an ambulance and Mary found her breath catching in her throat as she noticed paramedics in the water with a stretcher.

"Dad, look." She said, pointing over to where there were a body being pulled into the stretcher and the pair inched closer to the water with curious and fearful eyes.

"Oh god. Please don't let it be the kid." Jim begged, but just in that moment the paramedics got out of the water and they both recognised the body as their missing person; little Will Byers, poor innocent Will whom once had his whole life ahead of him.

Jim breathed out heavily, wiping his hand over his face whilst Mary swallowed back the horrible feeling in her throat. For days she had been making stupid and selfish remarks about Will and the kid was dead — he had been dead the whole time.

"Oh my god." She whispered, reaching up to cover her mouth with her hands, her face draining of colour as the boys body was taken into the ambulance — completely soaked to the bone.

Mary turned her back, her eyes glistening over with tears. She didn't know Will, not really. But she had saw him with her cousin Nate many of times before they stopped hanging out and he had been a lovely kid. And suddenly, Mary felt terribly guilty for her behaviour over the past week. And then she was thinking of Jonathan.

His brother was dead, he hadn't ran away or got lost — he was gone. And they had smashed up his camera and tore his pictures to shreds only a few hours before. And she couldn't even begin to think what he was going to go through upon hearing the news.

After the realisation sunk in, Jim was getting his daughter in the truck and pulling out of the Quarry, knowing that Joyce Byers needed to know her son wasn't out there and that he wasn't coming back.