twenty-eight; number six

A blink of an eye

       A blink of an eye. That was all it took from Mary standing in the smokey hallway of Joyce Byers' house to the middle of the road outside of it, in a state of darkness, snow falling from somewhere above her. She was back inside The Upside Down. Just like that.

Mary spun around, facing Corina whom was bent over a little, her hands on her thighs as she caught her breath, her chest heaving as she struggled with the easy process of breathing, "Corina, are you alright?" Mary couldnt believe the question coming from her mouth, but the girl did look to be in not such a good condition. And she needed answers.

Corina stood up straight, revealing that her nose was bleeding a little and she reached up, wiping it with the back of her hand before she scoffed to herself as she looked down at the blood smeared on her pale skin, "Havent felt that in a while." She mumbled to herself, wiping the blood on her skirt.

Mary watched her silently for a moment, excpeting her to start explaining and when she didnt, she threw her hands up impatiently, "Well? Arent you going to give me an explination? You showed up out of nowhere! Started infiltrating my life and now we find out that you're like Eleven and suddenly want to help!" She exclaimed, gesturing rapidly with her hands, her face scrunched up.

Corina tiresomly rolled her eyes, "We can talk whilst walking. I dont know where the demogorgon went and I dont want it catching up to us too quickly." She said and Mary sighed, though she did in fact agree and the pair began walking side by side.

Mary took their moment of silence to check her surroundings. Jonathan's street was exaclty the same but completely different. The ground was cracked as though it had been rattled apart by a earthquake. The houses were covered in thick vines that resembled seaweed, as if an ocean had wiped over the entire town. Cars lay abandoed, doors wide open, windows smashed in. Mary found herself wondering if they were actually in Hell.

Looking back to Corina, who's orange flaiming hair seemed to stand out against the dark colour of blue around them, she decided to start her interrogation, "Alright so, you're... Number six?" She asked and Corina sighed heavily, staring straight ahead, her heels clacking against the broken cement.

"I used to be," She corrected, "I was in Hawkins Lab until I turned twelve. They experimented on me, they tested me for everything, they made me use my powers for things I didnt want to use them for. But in the end, they were only making me stronger, stronger than them." She explained, staring far off into the distance.

Mary finally asked what she had been drying to ask since finding out Corina was like Eleven, "What exactly can you do?" She asked her, narrowing her eyes and Corina looked down at the ground with a small smile.

"They called it Darkness Manipulation," She stated, "My mind it's connected with dark energy. I can control darkness and everything that lies in it. It was terrifying as a kid, I used to wake up screaming because my cell was swirling in these awful dark shadows. Dr Brenner used to tell me that it was a gift and that I had the capability to control it. I never wanted to." When Corina was speaking of her time in Hawkins Lab she seemed to get this far off look that Mary recognised from seeing it on Eleven. And it made Mary question exactly what they had gone through in that lab.