eight; a chain reaction

Jim had drove Mary home before he and his officers set out on another search for Will

        Jim had drove Mary home before he and his officers set out on another search for Will. Mary had instantly changed into another pair of denim shorts, a low cut tank top and her favourite leather jacket her mother sent in the mail from her trip to Paris.

            She had called Charlie on the telephone and then Steve, letting them know that she would in fact be at the small get together. And then she got in her car and drove to Steve's house, blasting Duran Duran with her window down, going speeds her father wouldn't ever recommend, especially not to his daughter.

            She had slowed down on her old street, the car humming as she stared out the window where a new family lived in what was once her house. She could briefly remember Sara giggling and running on the front lawn, shoving sweets into her mouth whilst their father chased her.

              Mary hadn't realised she had been going so slow, nor that she was in such a daze until the car stalled and her body lurched forward, "Shit!" She exclaimed as the engine cut out before resting her head against the seat headrest and looking out the window.

              She wondered who now lived in her old home that she had taken for granted as a child — the massive room, the family life, the backyard and the laughter. She had taken everything for granted back then and wished she hadn't.

            Gritting her teeth, she decided not to bother driving to Steve's driveway and instead got out, her heeled boots hitting the pavement and she looked up at the big house in front of her, gnawing on her bottom lip. She wondered what life would be like if she still lived there — if Sara were still alive.

           Shaking her head, ridding herself of the thoughts she jogged to Steve's house where she could already hear music coming from. She didn't bother knocking, having knowing her full way around the house — and Mrs Harrington always made a fuss about it, always telling her just to let herself in.

                Steve's house was huge and spacious, nothing like the trailer Mary lived in. But it was cold and all the space made it seem less homely than it could have been. But still, Mary found it comforting in the Harrington household where she had practically grew up.

             Upon heading through the open space that connected the living room and the kitchen, Mary pushed open the glass slide doors, which was when her friends noticed her, "Mary, Mary, quite contrary. How does your garden grow!" Tommy yelled dramatically, jumping up from his lawn chair to spread his arms out and Carol pulled him back down by the sleeve.

          Mary's gaze found Barbara's that sat a little behind Nancy on one of the lawn chairs, still wearing her jacket and looking very out of place, "So, what have I missed? Anyone been thrown in the pool yet?" She asked, arching an eyebrow as Charlie got up from where he lay sprawled on one of the chairs, a cigarette between his lips.