twenty-eight; number six

Start from the beginning

"But I didnt have a choice, I had to do their little tests and I found myself growing stronger and stronger. I still dont know the capasity of what I can do but the last thing I did in that lab was get myself out. Brenner was getting me to conjur a portal. He made me think hard of where I wanted to go, which was the room beside me, that I had been in before. See, I can warp myself anywhere, only as long as I've been there before or if I've saw it. Like in a photograph or someone else's mind." Mary was listening ever so well, hanging onto each word that left Corina's red lips.

"That test was Brenner's biggest mistake," She told Mary, a sly smile crossing her pretty feautures, "I happened to touch him and I got all of these images of places I had never been before or even seen. And before I knew it, within s blink of an eye I was sitting on a highway in Maine, in a little town called Corinna." Mary started at Corina, amazed by what she was telling her.

"Is that why you call yourself Corina?"

The red head nodded, "Yeah. I hadn't ever experienced the outdoors before, I didnt know what a normal life was, even now there's things I dont understand. I spent twelve years of my life in a labratory... But one thing I did know was that everyone inside that Lab had a name and I knew I didnt, I knew six was a number. So I had to give myself a name and I chose Corina..." Mary stared at the side of Corina's face, a sympathetic look on her face.

"It must have been hard for you," Mary said, making Corina look at her for the first time, her lips parted and eyes on her, "There's so much you must have had to learn —"

"I'm still learning," Corina interrupted, "I'm not exaclty a people person as you very well know." She said, giving a small smile that was genuine for the first time and Mary chuckled a little, nodding in agreement.

"But I cant help it. It's an involuntary response to be mean and cruel... I dont know if its because of how I was raised — if you can even call it that or bcause my power is controlling the darkness of the universe. But I'm not going to apologise becasue I know if we survive this I wont change." She told her, looking away and Mary nodded her head in understanding.

"Hey, I cant judge. I'm not the worlds sweetest either and you've been through a lot, Corina. You're still figuring things out and you can be whoever you want to be during that time," That earned the smallest of smiles, "So, how did you end up with my boyfriends jacket?" She asked curiously as they turned into another street, heading down the deserted road where many abandoned cars lay.

Corina sighed, "I was driving into town with a car I just so happened to steal," Corina glared at Mary, "Dont give me that look. I dont have a drivers liscense and I had only driven a few times. But either way, the car broke down. I was freezing and Charlie was driving by, he stopped and said he was a mechanic — I didnt know what that meant but I hoped it was good and he fixed up the car. He gave me his jacket because I was cold."

Mary smilled a little, "That sounds like Charlie."

"I was coming to town because I heard about a little girl with powers here in Hawkins. I wanted to help her. When I got here I found her, with those little kids. I listened in on what they spoke about over their walkie things -"

"Using your mind like Eleven?"

Corina looked at her flatly, "No, we all have serperate powers. But darkness travels. I just had to imagine where the sound was going and coming from and I could hear it. It's how I found out about the demogorgon and The Upside Down. And then I found out about you and I guess its terrible but you had this almost perfect life and I just wanted to... Why are you laughing?" Corina demanded, giving her a spitedful glare as Mary chuckled.