20

Alexa

LOOKING at colleges was hard. Especially when you didn't even know what you wanted to do with your life.

Talking with Mr. Williams made me realize that I should really take back control of my life and start preparing for my future. But that's the thing. How am I supposed to prepare for the future when I don't know what I'm preparing myself for?

"So, have you decided what you're going to do for the party you told Blake you're having?" Alison questions as she takes a sip of her vanilla bean frappe. The girls begged me to go to Starbucks with them after school as they felt like we weren't spending enough time together.

"My parents are coincidentally going to be out of town this weekend but I'm not so sure throwing a party is the best idea," I reply.

"If you don't have the party then Blake is going to know you're lying." Madison states.

"He probably wouldn't even care if I had a party or not, plus I'm pretty sure he knows we were talking about him. He just wanted me to admit it."

"Okay, well then maybe you really shouldn't throw a party. How about we have a movie night?" Alison suggests.

"And maybe you can invite your hot cousins." Madison wiggles her eyebrows at me and I laugh.

"Yes to the movie night and no to inviting my idiot cousins."

"You're no fun." They say simultaneously, causing all of us to erupt in giggles.

I didn't fail to notice my fathers absence when my mother called me down for dinner later that night. He was starting to work later again and I'd figured it would be best to just stop asking for him.

"How was school?" My mother asks, attempting a conversation.

"School is school." I sigh.

"Well, your teachers have been keeping me updated and say that you're doing really well and that you should be able to get back on track soon."

"I was thinking," I start, changing the topic. "This weekend since you and dad are going to be out of town and I'll be by myself for a few days maybe I could have some friends over to keep me company."

"That's a great idea!" She says immediately.

I knew she would say yes. I know my parents were afraid of leaving me at home by myself, more out of fear of what they could possibly come home to.

"Great," I reply. "I'm going to head upstairs and call it a night."

"Alright, honey. Goodnight." I clear my plate and head up to my room, texting the girls to tell them that the plans for our weekend were a go.

The next day went by surprisingly smooth. I didn't fall asleep in any of my classes and I was successfully able to switch out of poetry which the girls weren't too happy about as it was the only class I had with them.

It was also the only class I had with Blake who was kind of the reason I switched out of that class in the first place. I know it kind of sounds extreme for me to do that but things are just easier when I'm not around him.

When the bell rings signaling that school is over I sigh in relief. The parking lot is littered with teens as I make my way to my car, wanting to leave the premises without getting stuck in student traffic.

I make my way to the spot I had been going to every day after school this week—the pier.

The moment was perfect. The sun was just beginning to set and there was a cool, crisp wind blowing across the crystal clear water.