Chapter 6 - The Way You Look Tonight

Louis’ POV

{PLAY THE SONG, IT ADDS TO THE EXPERIENCE!!}

It’s been a long few hours of sound check and dance rehearsals. I’m a bit more nervous than usual because I’m seeing Catherine for the first time in a few months. What if she thinks I’ve changed? What if she’s changed? But worst of all, what if she’s got a boyfriend?  I overthink everything in my head. What if I stuff up my performance because she’s ALL I can think about?

            I follow close behind Niall as we make our way behind the famous ‘X Factor’ doors. We walk out on stage to another screaming audience. Each week it seems to get louder, and louder. This week we are singing ‘The Way you look tonight’ and it’s gonna drive all the girls crazy. They’re probably thinking that we’re singing the song to them, but in truth, there’s only one girl that will be on my mind while I sing. Catherine.

            Liam starts the song, as always. I eventually get into the song, and sing as I would on a normal night. The performances never last that long, so within two minutes Harry is holding the last note and we’re getting off the stage. We make our way to the backstage area, and then to the meet and greet room.  And there she is. She’s making her way to the drinks table. It reminds me how thirsty I get after performances, so I make my way to the table as well.

Catherine’s POV

            We stand in the plain grey room. Nat is holding my hand because she thinks she’ll faint. We just met a few contestants. They were nice people.  One Direction had just finished singing ‘The way you look tonight’.

            “I’m going to get a drink.” I say

            “No!” Nat yells

            “What? Why?” I ask

            “They might come in while you’re gone and then I’ll faint!” she yells

            “Well, I don’t know! Just hold someone else’s hand, I’m thirsty!” I snap back

            I weave my way through a sea of people, trying not to knock anyone. But I fail. I have a collision with someone that I don’t see it first, but I look up. It’s Louis. His eyes widen, as do mine. I quickly lean in and hug him.

            “Oh my god, I missed you so much!” I say

            “I missed you too!” He says

Louis’ POV

            I’m walking to the drinks table with my head down. The other boys are talking to Aiden an Cher. I bang into someone by mistake. It’s her. I stand there, eyes wide, with a million thoughts going on in my head.

            “Oh my god, I missed you so much!” she says

            I awkwardly stand there as she hugs me, but soon I join in the hug.

            “I missed you too!” I say

            So from now on, I’m gonna be by her side most of the night. And, I completely forgot! Dinner! I’m having dinner with her and the other contestants! I’m really not sure how I’m going to get through this night without telling her I love her. She’s just…perfect! In every way imaginable! How am I gonna keep my little crush on her a secret?

            “How are you finding all the attention?” she asks

            I don’t care about all those screaming girls when I have you in my life.

            “Yeah, it gets annoying sometimes. I mean, they follow you everywhere, and I mean everywhere. The paparazzi, the fans, the journalists. But it does have its good points, like freebies and discounts.” I reply

            There’s a short silence.

            “How’s Southgate?” I ask

            “The classes are ok, but it wouldn’t hurt if they added some colour to the surroundings. Oh, I made a new friend called Nat, well Natalie, but I call her Nat, wait…oh my god I forgot!”

            Catherine was quite forgetful. She’d already told me about Nat via text.

            “What? What did you forget?” I ask, looking around the room

            “Nat! She’s here! And if you’re here, that means Harry is here! And that means she’s probably looking at Harry right now, frozen, and he’s thinking she’s a very strange little girl!” She yells

            I only comprehended about half of it but I follow her as she makes her way through the crowd.  She suddenly stops, puts her hand on her heart and sighs in relief at the sight of Harry and Nat having a perfectly normal conversation.

            “Hey, Lou! Come here!” he says

            I go around Catherine and she tags along behind me.

            “This is Natalie. She’s a big fan!” he announces

            “I know! Technically I invited her.  She’s Catherine’s friend.” I point to Catherine “Catherine’s one of my best mates from Hall Cross. I thought it would be nice to catch up with her and meet her friend.” I say

            We all stand there talking for roughly half an hour before we have to get in the black vans that escort us back to ‘The X Factor’ house. Natalie won’t be joining us for dinner, so I’m gonna be the only one Catherine is comfortable talking to. I know Catherine, and that means I’m gonna have to talk to her a lot.