The Beginning

Here it is. The beginning. The start of when our world would change forever. When we would never see the world the same again. This story needs to be told. The truth needs to be revealed. As soon as this book is leaked, spreading across the country, they will come for us. And they will find us. But read on. No matter what happens, read on. Because our sacrifice will only be meaningful as long as you read on. Do not forget the words that fill this book. And no matter what you do, do not forgive.

It all started in my hometown, the town of Creyton. A town of no more than a few thousand people, nestled in the shadows of the mountains circling it and hidden in the dense forest of the foothills.The only way that anyone could know that the town existed from the outside was the constant clouds spewing out of the smokestacks of the town's only factory.A mill established before anything else, a town springing up around it. Due to it's focus on the factory, the building of the town was half-fasted and had little care put into it, evident by the poorly paved mainstreet that flowed into the sparsely graveled and heavily mudded roads around the rest of Creyton.  

The further away from town the worse the roads became until they were more mud pits than anything else. My best friend Taylor's truck tires whirred in the mud worrying us both that any second it would finally get stuck and we would never end up making it to the party but be forever lost in the mud. I grabbed the 'holy hell' handle above the window as her truck plunged down after crawling over a mud covered log.

"Is it even worth going?" I asked before gritting my teeth together to stop them from smacking together, "Should we just turn around?"

"No point," Taylor said curtly, her dark brows pushed together in concentration in a way that made her look angry at whatever was outside her window. "It's just the next turn up ahead."

"So there's still time to turn around!" I say cheekily.

"We can't avoid another one of these. If we don't show up again you know everyone will be pestering us about it tomorrow at school." She said with a sigh as she turned the corner revealing firelight and dozens of other kids standing around it. She parks and turns off the ignition.

"Well I guess we're here now," I said, reaching into the backseat and grabbing the six pack of coolers. I open the door making sure to steer clear of the thick mud covering the truck. Together we make our way to the fire. We were already an hour late so the booze was obviously hitting almost everyone pretty hard at this point.

Taylor takes a seat in an available seat even though it was obvious someone had just been sitting there, Taylor ignoring the jacket draped over the back and the drink on the arm and moving them both. I stand beside her and reach to grab a drink I brought.

"Look who came for once!" One of the guys by the fire chuckles.

"Yeah, yeah and look who isn't high for once," I say in jest back. In a town as small as this everyone knows each other pretty well, and this guy in particular is known pretty well for having an affinity for a certain herb.

"Nope drunk instead!" He laughs. I laugh with the group and crack open my drink knowing full well that I will probably not even drink it. Drinking isn't really my forte, the feeling of losing control of myself and functions isn't much to my liking but to avoid getting drinks thrust in my hand and being encouraged to drink up, I bring my own for appearances. Taylor of course had the luck of being the designated driver so she had a valid excuse. 

"Fifteen minutes and I say we come up with an excuse to leave. Their yelling is already tiring me out," Taylor said in a hushed tone. "You were definitely right about coming."

"I told you, maybe you should listen to me more, huh? Years of being friends and you still haven't figured out I'm always right," I joke, "And I don't think they'll let us sneak off that early since this is the first time we've come out here with them in a while." But as I spoke our excuse for getting out of our party obligations walked up to us. Well more like was dragged over to us. Our good friend Julie who was the main force pushing us to go to the party was helping escort Victoria, the new girl this year who we had become fast friends with, over to the fire.