Chapter Six: Making up the mood

Lisa's POV

I tried calming myself down as I made my way towards the ballroom. The dance floor was packed and buzzing, Aiden was nowhere to be seen. I made my way towards Helen who was still seated at our table.

"Where'd you go? Mr. Black was looking for you. Him and his canvassing never ends," She said exasperatedly as she shook her head while rolling her green eyes.

"I'll talk to him later, I went to meet Aiden," I said as I sipped some champagne, already anticipating some gushing on her side.

"Huh?" Helen turned her head to look at me with a questionable expression.

"I know I keep bugging you to start living life a bit, but you know you dont have to lie, Lisa," Her face morphed into a serious one and she seemed genuinely concerned.

"Why do you think I'm lying? I went to meet him, he didn't make it there though, which is why I came back," I said as I took another sip of the champagne.

"Ah okay," Helen said in a hesitant manner, her whole demeanor had changed as she continued,

"I was actually wrong. You might be right about him being a jerk."

I briskly turned to look intently at her and asked,

"What's changed your mind so suddenly?"

Helen was mostly one to stick by her opinions.

"As soon as you left, Lauren called out to him when he was passing by our table. They started talking and headed towards the bar," She revealed with a sickening expression.

"You've got to be kidding me," I spat, vexed. Something irritating stirred in my chest.

"She's always doing these-" Helen began, but I cut her off.

"No, Hel, it's not her. It's him. He has the audacity to call me and not show up. Instead, he got distracted," I said as I got up, making my way towards the bar.

I froze in place when I saw Aiden in the arms of Lauren. They were on the dance floor and she was flirting openly with him, I felt a pang in my chest.

Once the feeling of rejection started nettling, I felt my blood boil as I stopped by the bar.

Turning my head away from them while going unnoticed by both, I faced the bartender who gave me his charming smile. Soon, Helen sat next to me, and spoke,

"As much as you want to speak to him, I suggest you to wait. Don't show Lauren you're upset at him. I believe she did it knowingly." Helen stated, she was always looking out for me as I hummed at her although she couldn't hear it over the loud music.

"I get your point," Nodding at her, I continued, "There're loads of important people around. We can't risk any drama on her part."

I turned back around and spot them. As if right on cue, Aiden met my gaze. Ignorance flashed on his face, it seemed like he was oblivious to me sitting there. He pretended to keep talking to her, as if he had done nothing wrong.

I blinked twice to see Lauren actually smiling wickedly at me. She definitely knew the interaction that passed between us. Annoyance filled my gut, I had to master the art of holding it in as I turned to Helen and said,

"I'm getting out of here," I stood up and left the bar.

Making my way to the lobby, I called Sebastian, my driver, who didn't pick up.

Today has to be awarded as the most frustrating day!

Sitting on the comfy couch in the lounging area, I waited for my driver to call me back. I was pretty sure he was caught up in something important; He would always be available when on call.