Simula

SIMULA

I've been roaming my eyes around the platinum-decorated lobby of this 60-floor building. The furnishings were kept to a minimum, but they poised an elegant flare in the entirety of the place. There were greeneries as well that were placed in every corner. They also placed a big screen at the center wall where it played current news about the world market and the power industry. And right above the smiling receptionists, posted on the wall, was a shiny, luxurious signage: Fuuma Power Corporation.

I turned my wristwatch for the nth time and saw that its hands are pointing past four o'clock. I shifted on my seat and changed my position. I've been sitting here for a good three hours and my hips were starting to ache.

"Miss Cross?"

Kaagad akong nag-angat ng tingin at nakita si Goldie, iyong receptionist na nakausap ko kanina, na sinisenyasan ako. I made a last-second fixing as I stood up and went towards the reception area.

"Thank you so much for patiently waiting, Miss Cross," nakangiting bati nito sa akin. "They are now ready to receive you. Please proceed to the 50th floor," imporma nito sabay abot sa akin ng isang visitor's keycard.

Sandali ko iyong tiningnan, maging ang maliit na parisukat na iyon ay tila sumisigaw ng karangyaan. Isang beses pa akong tumango bago iyon tinanggap.

"Thanks, Goldie," pasalamat ko bago tinungo ang mga elevators.

I quickly pressed the up button and waited for the cart. Habang naghihintay, mabilis kong pinasadahan ng tingin ang sariling hitsura sa tila salamin nitong mga pintuan. Inayos ko nang bahagya ang medyo nalukot na manggas ng aking skirt. Mabilis ko ring sinuklay ang nakalugay kong buhok nang bumukas ang pinto ng elevator.

Walang tao sa loob kaya kaagad akong sumakay. Huminga muna ako nang malalim at kinalma ang sarili. Akala ko sapat na ang ilang oras na paghihintay para mahanda ko ang aking damdamin at maayos ang pag-iisip, pero hindi pa rin pala.

It's been years since it happened. Five years, at least? Ganoon na rin katagal kaming hindi nagkita. Alam kong marami nang nagbago sa pagitan namin. Marami nang nagbago sa kanya at sa buhay niya. Alam kong dapat ay hindi na kami magkita pa pero kailangan kong gawin ito ngayon para sa isang napakahalagang rason.

I took another deep breath and when I felt that my heart calmed down a bit, I swiped the keycard at the sensor and then pressed the number fifty on the panel. The button instantly lit, the doors closed and then the cart moved upwards.

Makikilala pa kaya niya ako? As if I have changed so much over the past years. I paused as I looked at my own reflection. How about him? Is he still the same man that I knew, or did he change? I remembered that particular article I read about him on a prestigious magazine once. Judging by his current lifestyle, which was written there, of course, he's changed.

I felt a tiny prick on my chest as I unintentionally remembered about that piece of trivia they've put in there about him. Quickly, I shook those thoughts away. I didn't come for that. Hindi ako bumalik para maging bahagi pa ng kanyang buhay sa ganoong paraan. Bumalik ako para sa isa at natatanging dahilan lamang. At hindi ako kailangang mabigo. Nangako ako.

The cart stopped at the right floor and my heart raced once more. I did some last second fixing before I got off. As I did, I found two women talking just outside the conference door, one of which was my partner and the other was a blonde woman wearing a white, formal, long sleeves and gray pencil-cut skirt paired with black stilettos. It looked like they were in the middle of an important topic when Piel noticed my presence.

"Chelle," Pielstick Schneider, Piel as I call her, waved at me.

The woman she was talking with turned to me with curious eyes. I smiled at her and she smiled back with the same politeness. She then excused herself and went to the board room. Pagkabukas ng pinto, bahagya akong sumilip ngunit sumarado na ito kaagad bago ko pa makita ang loob.