[Part Seventeen] Bound to the City's Vampire Master

Start from the beginning

Isabelle was drawing closer. Ryder stopped, and then kicked the barrels closest to him, prompting a sort of domino effect as all the barrels came crashing towards her.

She was forced to jump just then to avoid them, and since her area of movement was constricted, this allowed Ryder to bring up his gun and aim at her as he ran. He shot her straight in the chest, and she fell against the barrels.

Her body began heaving, and the gasps turned into laughter. "Oh, that hurt, Hunter! You've wounded my heart...literally."

Ryder cursed. "These are fucking silver reinforced bullets! No way should she still be in a position to be laughing!"

One of the barrels cracked. Something seeped out from it. Blood.

I stopped in my tracks, not aware that my dad was sliding down from my back.

"What are you doing, Kay?!" Ryder called out towards me. "Hurry!"

My eyes dilated and I began breathing harder. I licked my lips, turning around slowly.

"Can't deny your nature, can you, sweety?" Isabelle said, slowly getting up from the floor.

The bullet emerged from her chest as her wound started to heal, her body rejecting the foreign intrusion. "This is what you are. You want the blood. This blood calls out to you!"

"Kay, stop!" Ryder shouted, running towards me and shaking me. "Get over it! Ignore it! We need to get out of here!"

"What's happening to my daughter?" my dad said, touching me. "Her eyes..."

"Your dad will DIE if you don't snap back now!" Ryder shouted. This brought me out of my bloody abstraction.

I snapped back to reality and looked around me. Isabelle was trying to stand up now, with a hand against the wall for support.

I grabbed my father and heaved him onto my back once more, and we took off.

Isabelle was limping towards us, and her image was receding into the background.

We were so close; I could see the entrance to the warehouse and the boarded windows that glowed lightly from the sunlight awaiting us outside.

"Kay!" my father shouted. I felt him slipping away from me, and I looked behind me. It was Isabelle, keeping up with us. She had a grip on my father's leg, and he was struggling with her, while I was struggling to keep my hold onto him.

But at this rate he'd be torn between the both of us.

Ryder lifted up his gun, taking aim, but it was impossible with the struggle and the proximity of the both of us. Isabelle was using us as a shield. "Hurry!" he called.

He grabbed one of the nearby barrels and threw it at the window, mustering as much strength as he could into that throw. The window shattered, and I could see the sweet, warm sunlight.

But suddenly I felt myself propelling towards the floor, and the weight of my father on top of me.

Ryder shouted something.

Isabelle pushed my father aside, and jumped on me, baring her fangs. I swung a leg at her, and her body moved ever so slightly at the impact, but she was not affected at all.

There was no way. Isabelle was supposed to be this strong. And the silver bullets did nothing, either!

I got up as fast as I could, heaving my father up with me. There was no time to return to carrying him too, and the sunlight was not so far away.

He was limping, though, and I was pulling him a long with me. Isabelle was getting back up; she was ready to lunge again, but just then, my father wrenched himself free from me and tackled her right before she could raise her arm and just before Ryder and I hit sunlight.