Unit 25: Final (Last Chapter)

I woke to the smell of gas and foul chemicals. Unfortunately, I didn't wake horizontally. I was vertically chained to a wall. Not comfortable at all. When I opened my eyes, I was met face to face with another person, but he was old and wrinkley. I let out a brief yelp and started hyperventilating.

The man backed away. "How is it that you're already awake?"

I stared at him with confusion. "What?"

He nodded towards something beside me. Rogue. "You see," he said, "you, my boy, woke up too early. Your friend here is still asleep. Now, why aren't you like that?"

By this point, I knew that it was Astlyr again. He always seems to be able to absorb the bad things. But I didn't answer the man.

"Oh, come on," he said. "I'm sure you know."

I stayed silent. I don't know why, though. After all, I'm sure he knows about Astlyr. Why won't I answer him? But then again, why is he asking?

"If you won't give an answer, then we'll have to find out from this girl here," he said, as he started to walk towards Rogue.

"What are you doing? Get away from her!" I yelled. Rogue was still knocked out.

'Rogue!' I said telepathically. 'Rogue! Rogue, wake up! R--'

I was cut off by a loud ringing in my ears. Turning my head slightly, I saw the man cut her hand. Her right hand. The syllys mark. He broke off our connection.

Carefully, he wrapped her hand in a white bandage. And left the room. So, I hung up there and waited. Rogue woke up a few minutes later. She seemed to be in a daze and she made a small grimace at the sight of her bandaged hand.

"So," she said, without looking at me, "how are we going to escape this one?"

"I'm not sure," I said. Is there really anything I could do?

I saw her smile in the corner of my eye. "Then, I'm one step ahead of you."

"What are you talking about?"

"Shh," she muttered. "Just go along with everything and stay close to me. We can't use telepathy anymore, so I'll need you to stay close."

"What are you plan--"

She interrupted me by whistling loudly. A whole bunch of recognizable people emerged from a door nearby. They were the people of the Rouge Scepter and the pack. They broke us off from our chains and we began running like mad people.

"Where are we going?" I asked, panting with every step I took.

"Well," replied one of the men in the guild, "you guys can't fight without your weapons. And Sphal magic takes up too much energy."

A person from the pack clarified the situation. "We're looking for your weapons. Since Rogue's weapon is the Philosopher's Stone, there's no doubt that someone is holding onto it. So, we're just looking for yours, Amus."

A few seconds later, an alarm sounded and red lights flashed around in the hallways and rooms. They told us that none of the cameras can find us because they cut them all off. So, instead, guards ran up and down each corridor, trying to look for Rogue and me. We had to stealth around everywhere while trying to search for my wristband.

Every now and then, the intercom would turn on, saying something like 'Kill the trespassers on sight' or 'Main lobby search complete.' Each room searched meant that at least one person was killed, captured, or injured. I would be lieing if I said that this wasn't dangerous. If it were up to me, I would've made sure that I was the only one stuck in this horrible place, but no. Other people came along to help me. Other people died because of me. Other people gave me all this guilt. But there's no turning back now.