Unit 4: Annoyances

Bee-beep, beep. Bee-beep, beep.

I slammed my hand against the nearly broken alarm clock.

Today. Today I have to find her. If not, then I'll practically be prancing down the path to hell.

I stood up. I don't want to go to school anymore. I'm going to die both ways. If I turn her in, she'll kill me. If I don't, her father will kill me. What if 'I can't find her' or 'she won't listen'?

Heck, let's burn that tree after we climb it... or something like that.

I threw on a plain, grey short-sleeve and my usual black pants and white sweatshirt. I kept neon green and black headphones on my head and listened to My Chemical Romance. I did some sort of dance-walk to the kitchen. Pulling out a granola bar, I ate it while putting on my socks, black and white sneakers, fingerless gloves, and bag.

I walked outside, now pumping to Fall Out Boy. I traced the white squares on my bag that make it look like a checkerboard that's falling apart. After I regained sight of what I was doing, I unlocked my bicycle from a rack and started off on my way to school.

I passed by pedestrians, trees, and the office building that we defeated the gostik on. Rolling down the hill, my eyes wandered off until something caught my attention. On the other side of the street, Rogue rode down the hill on a skateboard.

Turning her head, she saw me and switched her direction and into an alley.

What the heck, right? Is there always an alley for people to hide in?

I found myself pulling the brakes as the back of my bike screeched and turned me sideways. I went straight across the road and into the narrow walkway with turns and twists formed by the walls.

Above me, I heard a clink and I looked up.

Crash.

Rogue landed on top of me, but with the way she looked coming down, I think she meant for that to happen.

"Get off of me!!"

She pulled me up by my head, and put a hand over my mouth. "Shut up for a second."

"But I fell onto my bike! Do you have any idea how much it hurts?!"

"I said SHUT UP!" Her tone was etched with anger, impatience, and an urgency. "Don't turn me in, got it? That man is not my father. I've been hunted for years, and they're not gonna catch me now, okay?"

I nodded.

She released me and turned to kick the brick wall. Her skateboard fell off the roof and landed in her hands. "Stay a good distance away from me unless I come to you myself. They might be following you." She threw the board on the ground and skated away.

'They'?

There was only one man. Unless she's got a whole search party after her...

Is she wanted? Did she run away? Who would want someone like her?

I grabbed onto my stomach. The part that landed on the bike's handles. Who? Who would want someone like her?!

I'm getting a bruise now. Geez.

Picking up my bicycle, I mounted it, and attempted to ride it to school without curling up in pain. Once I got to school, I linked my bike to the rack.

"Hi."

I looked up. A girl. About five and a half feet tall, light blonde hair, and blue eyes. She wore a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled-up, a black bow tied at the collar, a black flared skirt, and loose heeled boots. Her backpack was small and shaped as a bear. It even had ears sticking out of the top. Her pale shin was dotted all over with freckles.