[30.] Let's Talk About Boys

A/N: HI! I'M ALIVE!

So sorry that I've been gone so long. I just could not find the time to update during the last month of school, there was so much going on. But now it is summer, and I have lots of free to time to update my stories for you fantabulous people! Thank you for being so patient with me. You are all the absolute bestest!!! <3

Two quick notes:

1. I have decided to change the actress who I chose for Catherine from Crytal Reed to Cote de Pablo. I feel that she fits my image of Catherine a little better, and she's closer to Karl Urban in age (which was something that I didn't like about Crystal Reed being Catherine). So yeah, new actress, yay!

2. This one's for flyingdragongirl1701 for being such a faithful and supportive reader. You rock! Thank you for everything!

Without further ado, I give you chapter 30! Enjoy! XOXOXO

[30] Let’s Talk About Boys

            Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be afraid of going to see Astrid.

            From the time that we were very little, there was an unspoken agreement between the two of us that no secrets would be kept from the other under any circumstances. We told each other everything. Quite literally, everything. And the very fact that I had lied to her gave her enough cause to bite my head off. Even worse, I had been lying to her for four years. That gave her enough cause to bite my head off AND rip me to shreds (figuratively, of course, but you get the picture). Needless to say, I was not looking forward to our next meeting.

            Astrid had finally been released from the hospital. Bones himself had examined her and gave her the all clear to return to our beloved dorm room. She had been holed up there for days, for even though she had been checked out, she wasn’t allowed to be on her feet for very long. She had injured her knee pretty dang badly, and we both knew that it was going to take a very long time to heal completely. In the meantime, Astrid had to deal with being a half-cripple.

            I felt my stomach turn inside out and upside down. I hadn’t been back to the room in the days that Astrid had returned to it. At least, not when she was there. I had spent most of my time avoiding her, for I was certain that Scotty had told her about his little discovery. I spent my time studying for my upcoming finals in the sickbay with Bones, and I usually fell asleep there, head resting on one of the tables. In the mornings, I would go back to the room when I knew she would be gone working with Scotty, showered, got dressed for the day, and headed off to my classes. And then, I would repeat the cycle.

            It’s not that I didn’t want to see Astrid; I did. I wasn’t even sure I was completely scared of facing her wrath. It was more facing the hurt that I had probably caused that I was scared of. I was beyond upset with myself. Why on earth had I not allowed myself to trust her all these years? It was just a guy. Was I really so afraid of her reaction that I couldn’t bring myself to tell her about a friendship that I had that had cultivated into something more?

            Well, the answer was obviously yes. I was a coward. And I totally sucked at being a good friend.

            I let out an elongated sigh and rested my head against one of my textbooks.

            “Studying troubles?” Bones asked from across the room. He was fiddling with a vial full of orange liquid that I quickly chose not to ask about.