[28.] Only If You're Here With Me

A/N: Hello everyone! Thanks so much for reading! Although I was able to update early, I will be keeping my previous deadline for the next chapter, which I am VERY excited to share with you all! (Oh, also a quick note: this is in Catherine's P.O.V. Every chapter will be narrated by her unless I specify otherwise, like I did with chapter 27). This one is for MaddieCMoore! I know it's a little early, but you know, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you like it! :)

[28] Only If You’re Here With Me

            “Thank you, Miss Taylor. You’re free to go.”

            I smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you.”

            “Have a wonderful day.”

            “You too.”

            Finally, after four days of sitting motionless, I was free from my room at the hospital. Sure, I was beyond exhausted and my arm was in a thick white cast, but other than that, I felt great. Smiling, I exited the building and made my way down the street. Evidence that our city had been demolished was still everywhere: rubble and debris filled the streets; traffic had been redirected altogether, since so many roads were blocked and still being cleaned up; people looked around anxiously, like more ships might come falling through the clouds to cause further destruction.

            As happy as I was to be leaving the hospital, being out in the open was almost worse than being cooped up inside. It looked like a nuclear bomb had gone off. The city that had once buzzed with so much life was shrouded in fear and hurt; it literally looked like death. The sun hadn’t come out since it had happened. The buildings looked even greyer than before. It was almost as if Khan had sucked all the color out of San Francisco.

            I shivered. I didn’t want to go back to the hospital, but I knew that I had to. My leave was only temporary. After all, what did I have outside of it? Astrid was still there, which meant that Scotty spent most of his time there. And of course, Bones was there.

            My heart fluttered at the thought of him, and I frowned. Ever since the mission, I had felt an overwhelming need to be closer to him. I tried to find him before leaving, but he was nowhere to be found. Everything within me was aching for him, but that confused me. Were these feelings of mine new? Had they been there all along, hidden by my apprehension? Did I simply feel this way because of the trauma I had experienced? I honestly didn’t know. All I knew was that I couldn’t get him out of my head.

            Sighing, I continued to walk until I found a small shopping center. Perfect. Just what I was looking for. I proceeded through the parking lot until I reached the doors of a supermarket, which I entered.

            Inside, fluorescent lights beat against my weary eyes. I squinted, almost pained by how bright it was. I folded my arms across my chest and shuddered again. My heart was still thumping from my thoughts about that darn C.M.O. I dropped my head and focused on the movement of my feet.

            I went on like this until I found the candy aisle. I managed a small smile. As much as I wanted to immerse myself in thoughts about Bones, I had a duty to fulfill: friendship. Astrid still needed me. I pulled a bag of Dove chocolates and two bags of gummy worms (sour and plain) from the shelf and hugged them to my chest. For a moment I considered getting more, but I realized that Astrid probably did not need too much unhealthy snacking; she was still on the mend, after all. Satisfied, I made my way to the checkout counter and purchased the sweets.

            Next, I went to the bookstore. I took a stack of different Shakespeare plays and purchased them as well. Now with two plastic bags on either arm, I began to work my way back to the hospital. The sun (though hardly visible) was beginning to set, and the sky was fading to a deep navy hue. A slight breeze tousled my hair and threw it over my shoulders. I momentarily closed my eyes, savoring the feel of the cool air on my face. I had never appreciated being outdoors so much as I did in that moment.