14 - Pathetic

Oliver knew he had spooked her. She couldn't leave fast enough. He gleamed a small ray of sunshine, that Beth was angry with Lucas. Could he find a way to open that crack in their foundation? Listening to himself, he should know there was no happy ending when a relationship was based on infidelity. Over and over that summer, he asked, how can something that is so wrong feel so right?

Ava interrupted his daydream. "I hate to admit it, but I like her. What did you do this time to send her sprinting for the door?"

"I'm not exactly sure. I think it was because I complimented her. Why are women so complex?"

"Because males are simpletons and need a challenge or you all revert to cavemen. Now only the lonely pathetic ones like you run that risk."

"I'm not lonely. Do you really think I'm pathetic?"

"Let's see choosing to live at the beach in winter. Chasing after an ex-lover, one who at the time you had no business being with. Still, you're chasing her and she is in a committed relationship for how long?"

"More than three years." He mumbled before adding more animation. "Yes, but why have they been together that long without her wearing a big fat diamond on her finger? Why are they not engaged or married?"

"Oh, now you are pathetic, grasping at straws." Ava just shook her head and walked away.

Oliver wondered if things were less than perfect in the chrome and glass condo. His visit to the condo was the first time he questioned Lucas' relationship when he didn't even know he was with Beth. She admitted today about being upset with Lucas, and really why did Lucas have him pick her meal? Did he not know her likes and dislikes? Granted food was important to Oliver, but he still remembered that she hated mustard even though his special sauce contains some. She hated root vegetables except for potatoes, carrots, and onions which she loved. She ate fish, but no salmon. He could go on, but he didn't want to be a pathetic caveman.

Felix arrived. "Hey, boss. Cold enough? What're our specials? Pizza?"

There was one slice left, and Oliver laughed. "No, that was from lunch. Have it if you're hungry."

"Really? Okay." He grabbed the slice. "Oh, this is good. I suppose it's not very French is it."

"No, I'm not ready to add pizza to the menu." Secretly he felt proud of his simple pizza.

He hadn't seen Bethany in over a week, but he saw Lucas at the center.

"Bethany is pleased with the planning for the gala. I am happy to stay out of it. I trust you two to create something wonderful."

Oliver ventured where he shouldn't. "She's very invested in the event. I'm surprised you haven't put a ring on her finger."

"She would love one, but she knows the whole marriage and kid thing is not for me."

"And she's content with that?"

The Beth that he knew would spend an afternoon building in the sand with kids she met on the beach. By the time they were done, they'd be BFFs. A strange thought came to him. Lucas was more suited to Hayley than Bethany.

"Of course, I'm a catch. She has everything except the ring."

Almost two weeks after he last saw Bethany, one of their servers yelled, "Hey Oliver, there's a woman asking for a hamburger."

Thank goodness, Ava was long gone. He smiled.

"Ask if she really wants the burger or if she wants a surprise instead."

He couldn't forget that evening.

They both worked the night of the Fourth of July. He was sweating away in the kitchen where they served a record number of plates. They were rewarded with the following night off, which didn't happen often. He went with Beth to meet her Nana. She took an instant liking to him. Although Oliver felt guilty since they were playing house in the older woman's home.

He surprised her that evening with lobsters. Outside on the patio in the fading light, they cracked the crustaceans and dipped the meat in melted butter. Then they slow-danced in the privacy of the hedges with the evening light setting the mood. Oliver wanted to confess his love for her. If life was a fantasy, they were living it.

The server returned quickly. "She doesn't want lobster." Oliver laughed, and the server gave him a funny look. "She wants the Beef bourguignon."

"Nice choice. Let Mr. Sanders know, I'll visit shortly."

"There is no Mr. Sanders just two ladies."

"Oh, alright then. Interesting."

He slipped out of the kitchen after they served their entrees. Her dining companion surprised him.

"Wow Caitlyn! Hello!"

"Oliver!" Caitlyn jumped up and hugged him.

Looking at Beth, he asked, "How's your bœuf à la Bourguignonne?"

"Oh, so French!" Caitlyn said rather giddy.

"It's delicious. Don't mind her. She's had lots of wine. We're celebrating her birthday."

"Happy birthday then." He mouthed bye to Beth as he headed back to the kitchen.

He sent out a flourless chocolate torte and adjusted their check leaving only the gratuity. Oliver warned the server. "She'll be angry and will want to see me. Pretend to get me, but tell her I am too busy to come out of the kitchen."

"She wasn't happy. The other one convinced her to go sit at the bar, so they're still here."

Was she staying to yell at him? When he finished in the kitchen, he changed back into his jeans and went to take the heat. At the bar, Caitlyn was laughing with David, the bartender. It reminded him of the night he and Beth met.

"Ladies."

"Oliver!" Caitlyn exclaimed again.

"Chef," Beth said flatly.

"I hope she's not driving." As he leaned in so Beth could hear, he could smell her perfume behind her ear. His senses awoke, and his body reacted.

"No." She whispered, "She may go home with David."

Oliver laughed. "It's nice to see some things haven't changed."