Chapter 15: A Beautiful Morning

(Shindou's POV)

After a few hours, we found a small opening between the nests and went through there. It was very narrow so we had to go through it one by one. We kept going through it until we saw a curtain of leaves up ahead.

"It's so slimy, what is this thing?!" I hear Kariya say from behind us. The floor we're going through was indeed a bit slimy. I didn't want to think that it is egg slime but I just can't help it.

"I don't know... And I don't want to know!" Midori said, her voice echoing through the narrow hole.

"Guys, quiet!" I snapped in a whisper.

We finally reached the exit and it seemed to be the edge of Mt Teikoku. I looked around and pushed the curtain of leaves on the mouth of the exit. It was already getting dark. A waterfall is visible from a distance and there is no sign of Tenma and the others.

"Eww..." Midori groaned as she wiped off some slime from her dress.

"Shindou-san! Kariya-kun! Down here!" I heard Tenma's voice from somewhere. I looked around and spotted him below next to a fence of trees.

"Tenma!" I yelled back at them.

"Are you guys alright?" Tenma yelled.

"It seems so. How do we get down?"

"Just follow the trail to your right. And be extra careful. The path is a bit steep," Kirino was the one who answered.

I looked to the right side and I pushed away the vines that covered the path. There is a narrow and steep-looking path leading down to Tenma and the rest.

"Ikuzo," I said, leading the way. "Just take it slow. Take every step with caution."

For a matter of about twenty minutes, we were all able to get down safely and join Tenma.

"Have you seen Tsurugi and (Y/N)?" Tenma asked as we had all joined them.

"No. I think they both took a different hole from the rest of us," I answered.

"Oh no. Not those two again," Tenma said worriedly and put one hand on his forehead.

"I found their horses," Kirino said. "If they could've gone through the left hole then I know where they are."

"We have to look for them," Tenma said.

"Any idea what time it is now?" I asked.

"I think it's about eight or nine in the evening."

"Let's check our packs as well as our weapons. We're not sure if those spiders will still be after us any time soon. Kirino-kun, how do we get to the other side of Mt. Teikoku from this spot?"

"Through the waterfall over there. It's just a mile far from here so if we continue to walk, we'll reach it at dawn."

"The girls. They must be tired already. Shouldn't we get some rest first?" I asked looking worriedly at Akane who now sat under a tree and leaned on Midori's back.

"What are you talking about? We're fine! Right, Akane-chan?" Midori said, sounding energetic despite all we've been through today. Akane didn't answer for she had fallen asleep. Aoi walked towards them and looked at Akane.

"Tenma, Akane's tired. Can't we rest for a while?" Aoi asked.

"Okay. Maybe two hours," Tenma said and it made me feel relieved. "But I'm worried about Tsurugi's and (Y/N)'s whereabouts. I am twice worried for (Y/N) and you know why. I hope nothing bad has happened to them."