Chapter 4: Sabotaged

(Y/N)'s POV

"Emerald"

"Diamond"

"D-Doll?"

"Lavender"

"Ruby"

"Y... Yesterday?"

"What?"

We were playing word chain to kill the boredom inside the carriage. That creepy guard told us to shut up so we were all whispering our answers. It's been three hours since we left the castle.

"Hey, it's your turn, (Y/N)!" Midori snapped in a whisper.

"Okay, uhm, Yellow?"

"Watermelon."

"Nutshell."

"Lavender."

"Hey, you already said that!" I snapped at Aoi, still in a whisper.

"I did? Okay, Lemon."

"No-------"

We jolted from our seats as the carriage came to a stop. I looked out the window and asked the company. "What's wrong? Why did we stop?"

"There's something wrong with the route we took," Tenma answered. "Are you sure that this is the right way?" he asked the others.

"It has to be. I've been to King Endou's country before many times already. I can't be mistaken. I know the road whatever the weather or date it is," Kirino-senpai answered. "But I don't remember seeing this bridge here."

I looked out the carriage and saw a long wooden bridge with no guardrails. Tsurugi got off his horse and examined the edge of the bridge.

(Tsurugi's POV)

I looked at the edge of the bridge and noticed something peculiar. Damn it, they already know that we will be taking this route!

I looked back at Tenma and said, "Somebody sabotaged this ground here. It's the only way between the rivers."

Tenma got off his horse and stood next to me. "You're right. It looks like it's been dug or something. Is there any way around?"

"There is," Kirino said. "But if we go around it will be much longer before we reach the other side. This river is miles long. Our two weeks expected travel may turn to a month."

I knew it. I looked at the carriage and the bridge. The carriage can go through it but we need to be extra careful.

"Just stay put. I'll check this bridge."

I got on my horse and slowly made my way through the bridge. It was about fifty meters long and there were a few creaking sounds. I looked down and the gushing river was about five feet below. I still made my way across though. We can make it but we have to be extra careful. I tied my horse to a tree on the other side and started walking back.

"We need to go one by one and the carriage shall be the last and it needs to be carried by one horse only. We can make it but we need to control the weight we put on the bridge."

I helped them remove some horses on the carriage until only one was left.

"Your highness, you may want to get off the carriage first."

Her majesty didn't answer but just glared at me as she got off with the other girls. Is she mad at me? Hmmp, anyway, I just shrugged it off.

Kirino, Shindou, Matsukaze and Kariya then made the horses cross the river one by one. As soon as the horses were on the other side, I led the way for Queen Gouenji and her head mistresses.

I followed her majesty as we crossed the river and watched her every step.

"You know you don't really have to watch every step I take. I'm not a kid and I can handle crossing this bridge by myself," she said.

What the heck? She has no idea how serious I am in fulfilling my responsibility. I just ignored her remark and walked on.

Creeeeek! The bridge made a loud cracking sound. This is bad, if we continue the bridge might give way!

"Your highness, be careful!" I tried to reach out to her but she simply ignored me.

"I told you I can handle----" Crack---splash!!!

Shit! Her majesty stepped on the crack and the bridge gave way, making her fall on the water!

"(Y/N)!" Tenma yelled on the other side.

"Run!" I told the other girls as I saw the bridge was about to collapse. The three girls ran and successfully reached the other side while the bridge gradually collapsed beneath me.

Queen Gouenji fell on the river and the strong current carried her away and prevented her to swim to shore.

I involuntarily jumped into the raging water and swam towards her.

~~~

Gin: Tsurugi, what are you doing? You can't swim!

Tsurugi: I'll do it for reader-chan! And baka, I can swim!

Demi: You're serious about this now, huh?

Tsurugi: *closes eyes and turns head*

Demi: Thanks again, Minna~! I hoped you're enjoying this (although I think you possibly don't because Gin-san made you fall on the water)~^^