37. I've been thinking too much. Help me.

Planning a wedding wasn't as hard as Adelina had believed. Growing up Adelina had always wanted a simple wedding, outside in the beautiful forest that had surrounded her childhood home. Her heart stung at the memories of Tessa and her discussing their weddings as children. Tessa had always wanted a big wedding with the biggest dress that could be made. The two of them had giggled as they had picked out boys for Tessa to marry in the village. 

What had changed between the two of them? Adelina thought. "When did Tessa start to hate me?" She whispered to herself. 

"Did you say something?" Madeline asked as entered the room. 

"Just talking to myself." 

"What do you think of the dress?"

Adelina starred at herself in disbelief at herself in the mirror.  Intricate lace hugged the bodice and flowed down past her waist to the floor. 

"It's beautiful." The lace flowed around her as she spun in a circle. "I've never seen a dress quite like it."

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" 

"I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. This is a new beginning for me."

Madeline approached Adelina, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Adelina sighs, "I don't know. I'm happy, but it's bittersweet. I used to imagine my wedding as a kid. Tess and I would talk about it for hours and she was also a big part of it. My entire family was always a big part of it. This is not how I pictured my wedding or my life. My family is dead and my own sister turned into something unrecognizable. Where did it all go wrong, Madeline? When did things change so much?"

"I don't know, Adelina. I wish I did, but all we can do is move forward. I'm not saying you should ever forget what happened because I know it'll be a part of you forever, but try to not let the bad tear down the good. You love Folke don't you?"

"More than I realized was possible."

"Allow yourself to be happy then. You can't let guilt eat you alive. You deserve this happiness and don't you think it's what your family would want? You have to let go of the past Adelina."

"I know Madeline." Adeline smiled. "You are right, but it's just hard."

"Talk to Folke about this too. You can't keep it all inside and let it eat you alive. He can help you heal.  You know I'm always here for you too. I'll be here when you need someone to talk to."

"I know." Tears brimmed in Adelina's eyes as she pulled Madeline into a tight hug. "Thank you, Madeline, for everything. You guys have done a lot for me. You took me in when I had nowhere else to go. You guys saved my life. You could have left me there but you all took me in. " 

"We would have never left you there. And besides, you were there with Aaron. You helped him get through that."

"I'm pretty sure you have that backward."

"Okay, so you helped each other. Doesn't change the fact that you're family now."

"I'm so grateful to have you all in my life." 

"Enough of this mushy talk!" Madeline exclaimed. "Let's get this dress finished. You have a big day tomorrow and we don't want your eyes to be all swollen and puffy. So dry those tears and let's focus on happy things."

Adelina hugged Madeline tight before turning to towards the mirror.

"It's really happening!" Adelina giggled. 

"Folke's outside waiting for you. Better get changed."

"It's still weird to me that you can contact each other that way."

"I'm sure you'll get used to it now that you'll be married to one of our kind." Madeline winked and strolled out of the room.