7. Breathe

Hours had passed

Hours had passed.

Hours since Daniel had told Adelina the news.

Hours since her heart was ripped out of her chest.

Emotions poured out of her like water rushing down a stream.

She cried. She cried for her parents. She cried for her sisters. She cried for Tessa.

Her eyes were bloodshot and not a single tear would escape by the time she was done. The energy had been drained out of her body.

Daniel had fallen asleep shortly after he broke the news. He had looked exhausted, so Adelina couldn't fault him for it.

Adelina sat there listening to his steady breathing and starring into the darkness that enveloped them. In the dark, her eyes kept playing tricks on her and she would see the faces of her loved ones. Tessa smiling down on Adelina and the glint in her eye when she would wake her up in the mornings. Her mother giving her a smile after telling her that she had a good heart and how special she was. Her father trying to give her a fake scowl after Tessa and her poked fun of his mustache. She reached out for them only to be faced with the reality that they weren't there.

Adelina could feel an emptiness seeping it's way into her heart. One she had never felt before.

All she could do was stare into that void, the nothingness that was all around her. Soon she let that darkness lull her into a dreamless sleep.

Adelina awoke a few hours later with a jolt. She looked down at her skin and rubbed her arms. She had never felt anything like that before. The feeling was not painful, but the jolt felt odd.

Adelina looked around but can only see darkness. She began to feel around and breathed a sigh of relief when she felt Daniel still sleeping peacefully next to her. She curled up close to him and listened to his heart drumming in his chest. She smiled before closing her eyes and falling back into a peaceful slumber.

The colors around her swirled and she realized the dreams had come back. She could see Daniel fighting off demons and her Dad was there too. She watched in horror as this creature with red horns and black claws crawled out of the woods. As the demon faced her, she saw that its eyes were black endless voids. The demon smirked at her before sneaking upon her father and Daniel. Adelina tried to scream but no sound came out. The demon grabbed both of them and began a streak of awful carnage by ripping their bodies apart, limb by limb.

Adelina woke up with a gasp. The dream had felt real and was vivid. She could still see the demons razor teeth as it smirked at her before killing her father. She wondered if her father was alive still somewhere out there.

Maybe Daniel had been wrong about him?

Thoughts began to swim through her head and she wondered if she had stayed and said no to her mother, would things be different? If Daniel had fought back instead of hiding, could they have saved them?