29 | Vulnera Sanentur

╷〢╷〢╷

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - N I N E | Vulnera Sanentur

spell. Heals victim.

╷〢╷〢╷

HERMIONE WAKES, STARTLED. As she gasps for breath, her hand reaches for her belly, reassurance that everything is all right. Her eyes adjust to the bright and spacious room after a moment, but there isn't much to take in. A black vase of red poppies sits on the bedside table and two empty puke green chairs stand by the door.

Her legs are weak as she attempts to stand and after several minutes of shuffling, she makes it to the door. She shouts for a nurse and by the time she makes it back to her bed, Pansy and a Mungo's nurse enter the room.

"Oh, sweetheart," Pansy says as she helps cover Hermione under the thin blanket. "You shouldn't be out of bed."

"I feel fine, though. Why am I even here?" She gazes at the nurse who is busy prodding her with a thick dark wand.

"You should feel fine, Miss Granger. You've been getting round-the-clock poultices and potions to get you back from the horrid condition that you were in a few days back. Dehydration, malnutrition, exhaustion - I could go on. You're very lucky you were brought to us when you were." She clicks her tongue as she scribbles down a few notes.

"Excuse me, uh - Nurse. You said I've been here for a few days now?" Hermione shifts uncomfortably under the blanket, which now feels sweltering.

"Yes. You've been dozing in and out of consciousness the entire time. But now that you're awake, we can get some food into you. Perhaps you can even leave by the evening."

As the nurse leaves them, Pansy sits on the edge of the mattress. She begins carefully picking at a loose string on the surface of the blanket. She is strangely silent despite Hermione knowing that there has to be some sort of development in the past few days. It crosses her mind that maybe no one survived. So, she presses the other woman for answers.

"We haven't been friends for very long, but I know when something is bothering you. Tell me, Pans. What happened that night at the Manor? Is everyone all right?" She can't bring herself to ask if anyone was hurt or worse.

Pansy bites her lip and her dark eyes dart across the room toward the window overlooking the gardens below. When she opens her mouth, her lips are red and irritated.

"Things got bad, Mi. Real bad." Her voice quivers and her eyes meet back with Hermione's. There are tears shining under the glow of the lanterns.

"We didn't see the wolves until it was too late. I had one job at that point - to get you to safety. I didn't know where else to go."

"Y'Zara was there?" Her heart begins to race.

"Honestly? I don't even know. There were dozens of them - all changed into their wolf forms, prowling the grounds of the Manor like something had called them there." She pauses, then adds something that sends a chill down Hermione's spine.

"People were hurt, Mi." She gazes at Hermione under concerned brows.

In an instant, her entire body burns with the frustrating sense of powerlessness and anger at Y'Zara and the Vukovi.

"And Draco?" She wants to confirm her fears before the emotions become too overwhelming to quell.

"I wish I knew what happened. No one has heard from him."

Hermione can't stop the hot tears from falling down her face.

"And the others?" She finally manages.