04 | obliviate

╷〢╷〢╷

C H A P T E R  F O U R | obliviate

charm. erases specific memories

╷〢╷〢╷

THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC is emptier than usual. The sound of rapidly approaching footsteps draws Hermione's attention as she stands awkwardly in the middle of the lobby. A pair of women race across the floor, giddy with excitement that Hermione just can't understand. She calls out to them, asking what exactly is going on and they reply with a surprising answer.

"Lucius Malfoy is on trial today. Honestly, how did you not hear about this?" They laugh and scurry toward the lifts.

She has several minutes before her interview with the Minister, so she tells the women to wait for her. She joins them on their descent to the lower floor where the courtroom is.

Curious onlookers and blood-thirsty justice-seekers pour out of the room, eager to get a look at the man who helped Voldemort rise to power. The proceedings have already started but she is quickly caught up because the events were memories she still held onto, ghosts of her past that will forever haunt her.

A few minutes into the discussion, Lucius is told some relieving news. 

"Although Fenrir Greyback has managed to evade capture, it is because of your help that we were able to apprehend him. He now sits in Azkaban. Your commitment has shown great valor and thus we must uphold our end of the deal. Lucius Malfoy, you are acquitted of the charges brought against you."

Hermione cringes. When had Lucius ever shown valor, she wonders? Surely not enough to escape justice.

"Damn," a stern voice says from behind her.

It's Draco. He turns on his heel and escapes the crowded corridor.

She chases after him, joining him in the lift.

"I'm so sorry," she says. She knows what it means to have Lucius walk free despite his part in the war.

"I just wanted him to face some sort of consequence. He can't be saved." He leans against the wall, tossing his head back and shutting his eyes. He lets out a deep sigh.

Not having the words to make his pain go away, Hermione lays her head on his shoulder. He places his head on hers and they remain this way until the elevator stops at the Minister's floor.

"This is where I leave you, milady."

Hermione turns to look Draco in the eyes. "I have an interview which actually shouldn't take that long. Do you, maybe, want to hang out afterward?"

"Hold, please," someone shouts, drawing their attention away from each other and toward a slender woman. Her straight dark hair has been slicked back, revealing the woman's high cheekbones, thin lips. On her top half is a maroon top beneath a black leather jacket covered in patches with various designs and logos that Hermione has never seen before.

Hermione then glances up to meet the woman's gaze to find that her eyes are already on her. She resists the urge to shiver as the woman winks at her before throwing her head back. The laughter that escapes her throat is wolf-like, a howl of energy.

Kingsley then calls Hermione, inviting her to join him in his office. She gives Draco a quick farewell before hurriedly crossing the room. She sits in the emerald green seat across the desk from the Minister. He sits back in his seat, then he smiles at her.

"So, you're interested in putting me out of a job?" As he laughs, Hermione is reminded of why Kingsley is so very loved by the masses. Directing her gaze to his, she offers him a smile before answering.

"Actually, I'm not too sure what I want. I was just hoping to work in one of the departments that might allow me to work up to such a high ranking as Minister. I want to gain some experience as I've never held a job."

"Well, being educated and experienced in your desired field is a great start. Were you thinking of Magical Law Enforcement, accounting - if you're good with numbers? There's Muggle Relations, Accidents and Catastrophes, historical preservation - the choices are nearly endless. We have hundreds of thousands of positions across the world and plenty here in London." He leans forward, placing his sleeved forearms across the desk, covering a sheet of paper and effectively drawing Hermione's attention.

The elegant seal along the top of the parchment is a vivid shade of red, an imprint of a large 'V' has been pressed into the wax. Hermione feels as though she's seen the symbol, but being in the middle of a conversation forces her to shove the thought to the back of her mind.

"Magical Law Enforcement? What positions are available?"

"You'd start working alongside a seasoned detective. Eventually, you could work on your own or with a partner of your choice. The job is not as high-risk as that of Aurors, but it requires a thoughtful mind and steel-like determination."

Suddenly she wonders if Draco's reason for being at the Ministry has anything to do with the position with the MLE. Kingsley takes her silence as a sign to attempt another route.

"I would have thought you'd take the position at Hogwarts. When McGonagall asked my opinion on reopening the Defense Against the Dark Arts course a few weeks back, I immediately thought of you. However, she brought it to my attention that your marks are showing a downward trend. Are you sure a job is what you need right now?"

"A job will force me to get my focus back in line. I've just been distracted is all. I promise that I have no intentions to fail my final year." Her cheeks flush hotly as the jumble of words escapes her lips.

"All right," he says with a grin. "I thought you might say that. I'll see to it myself what positions are available and I'll be in touch. Is there anything else that I can help you with?"

He rises from his chair, removing his arms from the desktop.

Hermione's eyes land on the letter and suddenly, she recalls where she saw that symbol in the wax. It was a design on a patch on the stranger's leather jacket in the waiting room. She stares longer than she intends and when she looks at Kingsley, she is caught off-guard by his worried expression.

"I should go," she says, stepping away from the Minister.

His face contorts darkly and he takes a single step toward her.

"You're a smart woman, Hermione. I can see the gears turning already. Cragov would kill me if I let you leave with that memory." He extracts his wand from his pocket faster than she can remove hers. He directs the end at her and a glowing light begins to blossom.

"Obliviate."

The world goes dark.

╷〢╷〢╷

IF YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER. . .

Please remember to vote, comment, and share.