18 | Glacius

╷〢╷〢╷

C H A P T E R  E I G H T E E N | Glacius

spell. freezing spell.

╷〢╷〢╷

HER HEART THREATENS TO BEAT OUT OF HER CHEST.

Can I actually go through with this, she wonders as she waits for Lucius to answer the door. A biting wind whistles through the enormously spacious wrap-around porch, forcing her to pull the collar of the coat close to her throat.

The door opens slowly and bright light floods the porch.

Hermione blinks back against the harsh light, but the silhouette of Narcissa Malfoy is distinct.

"Glenda?"

"May I come in?" Hermione's teeth begin to chatter; this gains her the sympathy of the Malfoy matriarch. She steps into the warmth of the Manor, which has a contrasting appearance from the last time she was unfortunate enough to be in this house.

They leave the foyer to enter the formal sitting room to the left. The walls are a rich buttercream with accents of dandelion yellow from the drapery and the sofas; one could never possibly guess that people were actually tortured here.

Before they reach the sofas, Hermione realizes Lucius is not downstairs, but Cragov is. Cragov is perched on the arm of the sofa with a crooked grin on her petite face. Her cronies lounge on the cushions like they live here.

"Glenda, you know Y'Zara. She'll be speaking on behalf of the wolf population in Northern Europe during this meeting."

Y'Zara gives Hermione a half-hearted wave before sighing obnoxiously loud.

"Can we get this thing started now?"

Narcissa turns to Hermione.

"Lucius is up in his study. We thought it would be appropriate to have you brief him on everything he needs to be aware of before submitting to this agreement with the wolves."

Hermione nods, but her eyes fall to Y'Zara, who gives her a wink.

"Uh - sure. Absolutely. I'll go upstairs and brief him on, uh - on everything." She walks past Narcissa and she marches up the stairs. Down the hall, she finds that all of the doors look the same. She resorts to opening each one until she stumbles upon Lucius's study, which is thankfully just three doors down from the stairs.

She peeks her head in and her eyes fall on the blond head of hair across the room. His long hair has been pulled into a ponytail, but it's messier than usual; strands have fallen into his face as he looks over some paperwork. She clears her throat to gain his attention.

"Glenda - you're here." He stands from his desk and approaches her. He closes the door behind her before pulling her in for an embrace.

Hermione pushes against him, instantly sparking his curiosity.

"What is it?"

She realizes that she is playing a part and Harry's life is at risk if she fails. She gives him a smile.

"There are just people waiting on us. Shall we look over your file?" Hermione hopes that he has it on his desk, but as she approaches the desk, she realizes he has the same article that was sent to her in the parcel. She picks it up with dread filling her heart. What will happen now that Lucius is aware of his impending marriage problems?

She turns to look at him.

"This article is going public tomorrow. What am I going to do? I'll lose my family and then I'll surely lose the trial, as well."

"The article is a plot devised by Cragov. She won't release it as long as you agree to whatever she wants. No one has seen it yet. You can still change how this plays out." Hermione drops the article on the desktop. She glances back at Lucius, who closes the space between them in a matter of a single step.

"I should have known. That Skeeter woman is a monster, but I never suspected her to attempt to tear apart my marriage with lies." He snatches the article off of the desk before crinkling it in his hand.

Hermione realizes that her mission is not to convince Lucius to stop cheating, but to make it appear as though he really was.

She forces her eyes shut, then she plants a hard kiss on Lucius's mouth. Then a small voice echoes from across the room.

"Lucius? What is going on here?" Narcissa steps into the room with Cragov behind her.

"I can explain," he says as he releases his grip on Hermione. He approaches his wife, who lands a firm slap on his cheek.

"How could you? After everything? I have stood by you - unwavering, even when my own child's life was threatened." Tears fill her eyes as she tells him to leave. She disappears to a room down the hall, leaving Cragov and Hermione alone in the study.

"Where is Harry?" Hermione asks as she stares back at the other woman.

"I didn't think you had it in you, but your efforts were not fruitless. Your friend is at this address." She extends her arm and in her hand is another ripped piece of parchment. Before Hermione can grab it though, she pulls it back with a grin. "If you ever need some cash, we're always looking for ambitious people to do odd jobs. You don't even have to be a wolf."

"Not interested." Hermione snatches the paper from the other woman, then she shoves it in her coat pocket before leaving the Manor in a rush. She DisApparates to the edge of the forest just outside of Hogsmeade. The Shrieking Shack is dark, but her wand lights the way as she manages to make her way up to the topmost floor.

Harry is laying on the bed with his hands laid across his chest.

Hermione finds a bottle beside the bed on a table. She pops the cork off and pours the liquid down Harry's throat, hoping that this isn't some sort of poison. He gurgles then coughs loudly as he comes back to consciousness. He blinks back at her.

"Hermione? Is that really you?"

She embraces him, just happy to have him alive and safe.

☽✧☾

IF YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER. . .

Please remember to vote, comment, and share.