07 | silencio

╷〢╷〢╷

C H A P T E R  S E V E N | silencio

spell. silences victim.

╷〢╷〢╷

THE NEXT SATURDAY is suddenly upon Hermione. She rises from her bed then downs the rest of the Gojin serum she made several days back. She'll need to get more ingredients, and this time, in a market, at least there she won't be confronted by Draco.

She dresses in a cream turtleneck and a pair of dark jeans, slipping into her favorite pair of earth-brown boots. She brushes her teeth, uses the toilet, before getting back to her room to pull on a coat. Then, she'll be off to St. Mungo's. However, as she closes her door, she finds an unaddressed envelope on the floor in the hall. After picking it up, she glances around but she is alone.

Something prompts her to open it, against her better judgment. She might recognize the handwriting, perhaps it's a note from Draco or something from McGonagall regarding the issue with Lucius and the werewolves.

It is an invitation to join the MLE as a rookie detective. Her partner is called Edie Rockwell.

She got the job. She's going to become a detective! With a smile on her face, she leaves the envelope in her room before taking off to join Pansy at St. Mungo's for the blood drive.

When she arrives, the sun is hidden behind clouds, rain threatens. The grounds appear empty but she goes inside and introduces herself to the receptionist, a dark-haired woman with equally dark eyes. On her chest lays a pendant, the stone is unknown to Hermione but it shines impressively.

"Just down the main hall, last room on the left," she says in a soft voice.

Hermione thanks her and goes on her way, taking the woman's instructions. She finds the door is open and inside, several students from Hogwarts prepare tables and check charts, going over everything to make sure it's all just right. Her eyes fall on a familiar mop of pale hair and her breath catches in her throat.

Across the room, Pansy calls her name, drawing the attention of everyone in the room toward the door. Her cheeks flush hotly as she avoids Draco's gaze while crossing the room to join Pansy.

"Ron and I are doing better than ever. You said he was dumb with romantic stuff so I decided to tell him just what it is that I wanted and it seems to have worked so far. Thank you!" She embraces Hermione suddenly.

Meanwhile, over Pansy's shoulder, Hermione sees Draco watching them. She is relieved when they separate and the attention can go back to Pansy who seems to enjoy the conversation being pointed at her.

"How did you two get together, again?"

"I work some shifts here as my work-study and Ronnie came in for all sorts of wounds from the academy. He was stoic at first but beauty can sway even the most stubborn of souls, I suppose."

She wonders if the same could be said of her and Draco.

Just then, he appears beside the raven-haired witch with Blaise Zabini in tow.

"What's with the doe-eyed Gryffindor? Are you lost, little girl?" His smile is brilliant but his tone is acidic.

"Be nice, Blaise. Hermione is here to help with the blood drive. Now eat a biscuit and shut up, please?" She glares at him before stomping away to finish up duties before the drive begins.