23 | Portus

╷〢╷〢╷

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - T H R E E | Portus

charm. makes an object a portkey.

╷〢╷〢╷

HERMIONE CLUTCHES HER BELLY PROTECTIVELY.

The apartment Theo has taken her to is stunning, like right out of a movie. White carpet pairs nicely with the large white tiles in the kitchen and entryway. The walls are gray, the shade of concrete on a rainy day. Enormous windows give way to the glittering skyline below, a city brightly contrasting the dark night above.

"Where are we?" She approaches the windows to gain a better perspective of the city, but she can't seem to recognize anything.

"Would you believe me if I said New York City?"

She glances over her shoulder and fears that he has really taken her all the way to the United States.

"Why so far from Europe?"

"I have a few places, here and there. I like to have options, and it's the safest way to live. Never know when you'll need to hide-out for a bit."

He plops down on the sofa with a sigh.

"Ready to discuss this whole mess between the Malfoys and the werewolves?"

"You're not one of them, are you?" She crosses the room to join him, but stops dead-center in the sitting room after hearing his question.

"Now don't go saying it like that. Werewolves aren't viewed that way anymore. We used to be portrayed as villains, monsters without a single ounce of guilt within their very hearts. Hearts that mirror your own, Hermione. So we're not that different, you and I. Intelligent, driven, and willing to risk our lives for those we love, but we're both pawns in a much greater scheme. You're maintaining the status quo by helping us out."

Her eyes graze him icily, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I already helped Y'Zara. I owe her nothing."

"That's where you're wrong, love. If we do not capture Lucius soon, Draco will be forced to take his place, and judging your reaction to me, I assume you aren't interested in having him around that baby either if he gets turned." Theo leans back against the white sofa, draping his arms over the back.

Hermione frowns. Contemplating whether to even argue. She knows he's right; she doesn't want their child introduced to such a world, even if they are as reformed as Theo suggests.

"If I did agree to help Y'Zara, what would I even do? I'm pregnant and human. I don't have wolf-powers like everyone else and Lucius is Merlin knows where right now. He could be in Hong Kong or Madrid for all we know. How are we going to find him if we don't even know where to begin looking?" She drops down onto the couch across from Theo.

"You've got the easiest part of it all, though, love. You get to stay here while the rest of us do our part." He pushes himself to the edge of the sofa, leaning his elbows on his knees.

Hermione's glare turns into a look of distress. Her heart begins to race against her chest.

"How is that helping anyone?"

"Y'Zara believes Draco knows where Lucius is," he explains. "If Draco thinks you've been kidnapped, he might be willing to give up his father's location. Once we have Lucius, you're free to go."

"I have school and doctor's appointments. Why do I have to be here?"

Theo gives her a smile.

"Ignatius wanted to keep you, so thank Merlin that I asked for this task."

Hermione bites her lip as she thinks of the implications of the plan. What if Draco doesn't know where his father is? Lucius has a streak of protecting his family when the need arises, but will he give up his life for Draco? She isn't so sure about that.

"You won't be here forever. Y'Zara was leaving for Malfoy Manor when I left the lair. I'm sure Draco has already fessed up and they're on their way to finding Lucius right now."

She hopes that he is right, but a nagging feeling gnaws at her insides making her nauseous and uneasy, even as she crawls into the guest bed an hour later. As she lays under the thick, plush comforter, her fingers graze the cool metal plate of the necklace that Draco gave her, contemplating whether to alert him or not.

Loud thuds wake her the next morning, just as the sun begins to peak beyond the horizon. She grabs her wand to investigate.

☽✧☾

IF YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER. . .

Please remember to vote, comment, and share.