19 | Aperecium

╷〢╷〢╷

C H A P T E R  N I N E T E E N | Aperecium

spell. reveals invisible ink.

╷〢╷〢╷

A WEEK LATER, HARRY IS SET TO LEAVE ST. MUNGO'S.

And, after a wellness check-up with Emsilia, Hermione DisApparates to Grimmauld Place to join Ron and Pansy as they prepare a big dinner for Harry's welcome home party. She was explicitly told not to expect a feast, but as she enters the house, a medley of mouth-watering scents tickle her nostrils. Upon entering the kitchen, she finds that Ron's entire family is present.

George is speaking with Bill and Fleur at the dining table, and down the way, Luna and Arthur closely study the insides of their matching tea cups with blazing curiosity. Walking around them, Ginny and Blaise are setting the table with glittering silverware and plates of varying sizes and colors and textures. At the stove are Molly and Pansy, laughing over something Pansy must've done incorrectly.

Strangely, an aching begins to burn in the center of Hermione's chest. She's over Ron, but seeing Pansy in a place where she might have once stood, draws a sour taste to her tongue. Thankfully, Fleur calls to her.

"Hermione! It has been so long," she says in a thick accent. As she steps back, her hand darts for the baby between them. "How could I have forgotten? It is a boy, oui?"

Hermione nods, and from her pocket, she pulls out an ultrasound picture from that afternoon. Seconds later, Fleur begins to cry and she gives the photo back before she takes off for the hallway in a rush. Bill notices her exit, prompting his quick response as he races after her. For a few moments, there is complete silence as everyone waits for a door to slam shut, and when it does, most everyone continues on with their various activities.

Wanting to avoid further problems, Hermione slips into the sitting room, where a low fire crackles in the hearth. She plops onto the sofa before closing her eyes. After several seconds, a creaking floorboard alerts her of someone's approach. Her eyes burst open as she glances across the room. George stares back at her.

"I'm so sorry about that. Is Fleur going to be all right?" She stands and crosses the room. "I should really get going, any way."

His hand touches her arm and she turns to look back at him.

"Harry will be around soon, and besides, you haven't even eaten. Food's almost ready. Join me, please?" His lips lift in a smile.

"I can't go back in there," she whispers.

"You don't understand. She isn't upset with you. Babies, kids - pregnancies as a whole, just set something off in her." He shrugs and runs his hands through his hair. "She wants to be a mum. Bill doesn't want a kid with his affliction, as he calls it. They've been fighting the last six months over it all."

Hermione stares at the ground between them. An overwhelming sadness brings tears to her eyes.

"It's all right, though. Ginny has been helping me look into orphanages. There are always kids looking for a home, you know? So, cheer up - they'll work things out. I think I just heard the front door. Hopefully it's Harry, 'cause I'm starving." He pats her on the arm before heading into the kitchen.

Hermione follows him and practically runs into Harry as they both attempt to enter the kitchen. She immediately embraces him, but glancing over his shoulder, her eyes fall on Draco. She demands to know what he's doing as she pushes away from Harry.