Chapter 19

After a short plane ride that felt terribly long, we found ourselves back in North Carolina. Summer was now half way over, which means I only get Hayes to myself for about 5 more weeks.

When we got back to the Grier's house, we found a note on the kitchen counter. It was from Mr. and Mrs.Grier.

It read "Dear Nash, Hayes, and Jessica, we went to visit some friends in Cleveland for a birthday party this weekend, and we know we should have told you before your trip, but we didn't know until two days ago. We left $200 on our dresser for you and please spend it responsibly. Skylynn is staying at grandma's house, so you don't have to worry about her. Have fun and be safe. Love, us"

Right away, Nash picked up his phone and started texting like crazy.

I wondered what he was up to, so I asked "why are you texting so much?"

He acted as if I should have known the answer to that already. "I'm obviously gonna throw a huge out door party tonight."

I felt a lump in my throat. "Who are you inviting?" I asked trying to cover up how worried I was.

"People from school. Even some of Hayes's little friends. Don't worry they are all really nice."

"Okay." I said with a fake smile as I walked away.

It's not like I mind Nash throwing a party. It's just that the last party I went to even though it was at Josh's house ended disastrously, and I don't want anything similar to happen to me tonight. To make things even worse, I don't want there to be any girls here.

I took a quick shower after being on that horrid plane ride, and put on a black high waisted skirt with a white crop top. I threw my gray vans on and headed to the door to see who the first person to arrive would be.

Right as I was about to go down stairs to see, Hayes grabbed my hips from behind and turned me around. He looked so cute in his outfit.

"Are you okay with this whole party thing?" He asked concerned.

"Um yea I will be fine, but are there gonna be any girls here that are friends with you? I asked nervously, grabbing his hand.

"I don't really care for or associate with the girls from my school. They are all pretty trashy. You're gonna be the only girl out of my friends tonight. Is that okay with you?" He asked kindly.

"Of course. I'm sorry for being so bitchy about this I just-"

"Shhh. It's fine. Don't worry about it." He said with a gentle smile.

The door bell rang which signaled that this long night was about to start.

It was a few of Nash's friends, three guys and a girl. Nash said hi to them and I wasn't really interested in their conversation so I drowned them out until I heard Nash say "Oh yeah btw this is Jessica, Hayes's special friend."

They all said hi to me, and the girl was very genuine and pretty. Nash seemed like he liked her a bit.

The door bell rang again, and this time it was one of Hayes's friends. He was a little taller than me with blonde hair.

"Hey Derek. This is Jessica. Jessica this is Derek." He said trying to make me feel welcome.

"Hi Derek." I said with a shy smile. I hated meeting new people.

"Hey there." He replied whilst checking me out, but I wasn't interested. I had eyes for Hayes only.

The doorbell kept ringing and ringing, mostly Nash's friends, but at this point it was me, Hayes, and 5 of his guy friends.

Unexpectedly, the next time the doorbell rang it was a group of girls, but they didn't look like they were Nash's friends. They actually looked about my age. Right away, I noticed that one of them was Hayes's ex girlfriends.

Jordan. Oh how I remember her. Her and I were best friends in elementary school. For a good two years she knew I liked Hayes. But right when we got to middle school, she was all over him. When I asked her if she liked him, she said she always had, and that she was keeping it from me to protect our friendship. But I can't be friends with a liar. When I told her that, she did everything she could to make me jealous, and eventually did make me when she dated him.

Hayes looked over at Nash and muttered "why did you invite them here it's just gonna start shit."

"I thought you would want me to invite some girls for Jessica to hang out with." Nash said

"No I wanted the exact opposite of that. Jordan is gonna be all over me." Hayes said with tears in his eyes.

"Jordan I think it would be best if you and your friends-"

"Came in and joined the party? Of course Hayes!" She said throwing her arms around him. Hayes just looked at me and didn't hug her back. I could see that he was trying really hard to not hurt me, but I now know I will be hurt by the end of the night.

When Jordan finally removed herself from Hayes, she noticed me.

"And who is this?" She said with a snotty expression.

"This is Jessica. My girlfriend."

*authors note- i am not trying to make Jordan look rude. I respect her a lot actually. And yes i know they dated a long time ago.*