Ch. 23 The Connection

I woke the next morning my ring catching the the sun as I sat up. A smile pulled across my face as I slipped jeans and a tank top on. I headed down stairs to find Ariana in the living room.

"Morning," I smiled at her. Instantly her chocolate gaze landed on my left hand.

"Oh my gosh! He finally proposed," Ariana rushed toward me looking at the ring closely.

"Yes he did and his proposal was so sweet I couldn't speak," I said when my cellphone interrupted our conversation. "Hello."

"Becca," Ben said. "Katie wants to visit."

"I'm a little busy right now. I don't think she should come over until I deal with the man who killed my mother," I whispered as Ariana looked at me questioningly.

"But she misses you," Ben pleaded as I groaned.

"I love her but right now I am putting my foot down. She can't come over Ben!" I snapped harshly.

"I'm sorry, you are right. I shouldn't have pushed," Ben said as I took a small breath to calm myself.

"It's fine but I have to go," I hung up as Ariana looked at me.

"Does he call you a lot?" She asked softly.

"He started calling me after I went to the recital," I muttered as she sighed.

"Be careful okay. I don't want him to ruin this for you," Ariana said pointing at my ring as I nodded. Two arms wrapped around my waist from behind. I smirked as I leaned back against Henry.

"Good morning," Henry breathed against my neck.

"Sleep well?" I asked as he held me tightly against him.

"Best sleep I have had all my life," Henry whispered as I faced him. I planted a quick kiss before walking toward the kitchen. I poured two cups of coffee as Henry grabbed the mug from me. I downed my coffee before I put the cup in the sink.

"I think I'm going to see Mason," I muttered as Henry stiffened.

"That's a horrible idea," Henry said as I stepped closer to Henry.

"He might know what Jackson is planning," I said firmly.

"At least let me come with," Henry said as I took his hand.

"I want you with me," I smiled at him. We rushed to grab our weapons before we headed to where I believed Mason would be. We reached the small house as we walked up to the oak door. I rang the bell waiting patiently for Mason. The door swung open as Mason stared at us.

"Can I help you?" He asked bluntly.

"I need to know what Jackson is planning," I said as he motioned us into his house.

"The only thing I know is he wants you Rebecca," Mason sighed as Henry stood a few feet from me. "He wants you in spite of the advice I gave him regarding the risks of leaving you alive. He is unconcerned with your ability to kill him."

"Why does he want me?" I asked crossing my arms.

"Because he loves you in his own twisted way. I think he might be interested in you because you made him. Without you he would still be nothing, just a guy who graduated from high school without any plans for the future," Mason said as my lips parted slightly. The memory hit me roughly.

"Rebecca hurry up!" Ariana yelled as she dragged me into the school. My sparkly white dress rubbed against my knees as we entered the gym. The music pulsed through the room as Ariana looked around.

"Wow," I muttered looking at the streamers and the strobe lights. Ariana rushed off finding a guy to dance with as I rolled my eyes. She didn't take long to find a guy.

"Would you like to dance?" The guy a year above me asked. I faced him with a polite smile.

"Sure, I'm Becca," I said as he took my hand leading me into the crowd.

"I'm Jack," he said as I swayed to the music.

"He knew me. Before he turned we met before," I muttered as both Mason and Henry stared at me.

"What do you mean?" Henry asked as my heart raced.

"He went to my school. He was a year older than me and we shared one dance at homecoming," I said my voice cracking. "I don't know how I could forget."

"So there's the connection," Mason said as Henry gripped my hand.

"I can use that to find him," I said firmly as Mason waited for me to elaborate. "If he went to my school he lived somewhere close by and I can find his family and eventually him."

"You don't know his name," Henry said as I laughed.

"I don't need to. I just need my yearbook," I said with a smile. "Thanks for you help Mason."

"I kinda owed you anyway," he said as Henry and I raced from his house. We got back to my house a few minutes later. I sprinted inside and into my room. I scanned the bookshelf looking for the familiar binding. I pulled two shiny blue yearbooks off the shelf. I sat on the ground with both books on my lap. I looked for the proper year on the cover before I flipped to his class. Henry sat on the bed while I had the yearbook on the floor. I looked at the list of names before I located his name. I confirmed his identity with the picture.

"Found him!" I said before I got off the floor. I walked over to my desk opening my laptop. I put his name into the search engine. I scrolled through the links before I found his sister's address. I couldn't believe he had a sister and that she was still alive. I could use her to force him into a meeting. "He has a sister."

"What do you plan to do Rebecca?" Henry asked as I turned to face him.

"I am going to pay my sister in law a visit," I said bitterly. "He didn't hurt her so he must care for her and that is his weakness Henry."

"Would you hurt an innocent girl?" He asked with shock all over his face.

"Who said anything about hurting her?"