Ch. 19 Friends

I wiped the tears from my face as I stepped out of my mother's study. I couldn't afford to continue to hide in the memories of my mother. I walked through the house and onto the street. I wandered around trying to figure out my next move in finding Jackson.

"Rebecca," Ben called to me. I turned toward him as he rushed out of his apartment to me.

"Ben," I said forcing a smile.

"I heard about Gwen. I'm sorry. She was a good woman, she didn't deserve what happened," Ben said as my heart dropped.

"How's Katie doing?" I asked shifting away from talking about my mother. The pain I felt was too fresh to discuss especially with my ex.

"She's great," Ben said as I crossed my arms. "She has a dance recital tonight. Hey, would you come? Katie misses you."

"I'll see if I can but I'm still in the process of dealing with some issues," I said softly.

"Please Becca!" Ben pleaded as I caved.

"Okay I'll come," I said suppressing a grin. While I didn't love Ben like I did Henry I had to admit that I missed him. The part I regretted the most was losing our friendship when I chose Henry.

"Katie is going to be so excited!" Ben said to me.

"I can't wait to watch her dance," I said as Ben pulled me into a tight embrace. I allowed him to hold me for a moment before I slipped from his arms. "What time and where is it?"

"I'll pick you up in an hour," Ben said as I nodded. I rushed back to the house to find something more appropriate for a dance recital. I slipped the purple floral dress on with my black leather jacket. I left my hair down before Henry took notice of my appearance.

"Where are you going?" Henry asked as I faced him.

"I'm going with Ben to Katie's dance recital," I said as Henry stiffened.

"Like a date," he said as I shook my head.

"No, I'm going because Ben begged me. Ben knows that Katie and I were close," I said firmly. I guess part of me still felt guilty over the death of her parents.

"I don't like this," Henry said as I sighed.

"I'm sorry I should have asked you but I already told Ben I would go," I murmured as Henry pressed his lips to my cheek.

"Be careful Rebecca," Henry said as I smiled at him. I stood in the living room waiting for Ben. I heard his car pull up as I exited the house. I noticed Katie sitting in the back seat. I waved before getting into the passenger side.

"Becca!" Katie cheered as I twisted in the seat to smile at her.

"Hi Katie. Are you ready to dance?" I asked her. Katie nodded.

"I even have a solo," she grinned as we reached the venue.

"Really? That's great Kat," I said getting out of the car taking her hand in mine. She skipped in her stunning white costume with jewels on the top of the dress. We walked inside to find a lot of children buzzing with excitement. Ben led us backstage where the dance teacher struggled to get control over the children. I took Katie's jacket as she bounced over to her teacher.

"Let's go find a seat," Ben said putting his hand on my lower back. I stepped out of reach growing more uneasy with Ben. I didn't want to give him the wrong idea. We find a spot right in front of the stage.

"Katie looks so happy. She loves dancing doesn't she?" I asked as Ben laughed.

"Yes she loves dancing. She is a natural," Ben said as the lights dimmed. The dance teacher stood on the stage introducing each dance. My breath hitched when Katie came out. She moved gracefully across the stage with a smile. I could feel the emotion she put into each step. I couldn't look anywhere but at her. Ben wasn't exaggerating, she has talent. Tears filled my eyes as I watched her glide one last time across the stage before going backstage. I brushed the tears away as I clapped for Katie. Katie rushed to meet us after the recital ended.

"Wow Katie. You are amazing," I smiled pulling her into my arms.

"That was nothing," she laughed as we walked out of the venue.

"Hey let's go for ice cream, there is a shop right there," Ben said as I sighed. One look at Katie and I couldn't say no. She was like family to me.

"I guess we could," I said as Katie grinned. We reached the ice cream parlor as Ben held the door for us. I looked at the different types of ice cream they offered.

"What kind are you getting?" Katie asked me.

"Mint chocolate chip obviously," I teased as Katie turned back to the worker.

"What can I get you?" She asked after filling Katie's order.

"Double scoop of mint chocolate chip please," I said as she filled the container. I waited at the checkout with Katie as Ben ordered his ice cream. I offered to pay for my ice cream but Ben had already handed over the money. We found a table sitting down to eat. I ate my ice cream quickly before heading to Ben's car. He walked me to the door of my house.

"Thank you for coming to the recital," Ben said leaning in to kiss me. I blocked his touch with my hand pushing firmly against his chest.

"Ben I'm with Henry. I came with you for Katie and as a friend but that is all we can be is friends," I said harshly. I couldn't let him down gently because he deserved to be happy with someone else.

"Seriously? You still are with Henry. Can't you see I'm the better guy?" Ben snapped as I glared.

"Even if that was true I love him and being the better guy can't change how I feel," I said softly. I knew that Henry was the better guy but I wasn't going to argue who was better because that's irrelevant to the conversation. Ben stood in front of me with anger in his eyes.

"We could have been a family. I saw how happy you were tonight and if we were together, every day would be like that," Ben pleaded with me.

"Goodnight Ben," I growled rushing into the house. I slammed the door behind me locking it.