midnight blues - umi

Start from the beginning

The lift went down and down, endlessly. Eventually it came to a creaking halt and it made a happy 'ping' as if they were in some luxurious hotel. When the doors opened, the view was far from it.

First of all, it was hard to see. The lighting was like a theatre hall, dark but well lit in some areas. She couldn't tell if it was an artful choice or just really shitty lighting. She decided on the latter after seeing some lights flicker, struggling to stay on.

Their footsteps collided against the dark navy concrete, the gentle but firm sounds echoed against the walls made from the same material. The room was filled with all sorts of torture devices that would make a serial killer's heart sing.

Cold air trickled up beneath her long sleeves, licking her skin. She shivered, rubbing her arms to generate warmth. Namjoon standing besids her seemed totally fine; which confused her further. She couldn't tell if the room was freezing or if she was nervous due to the foreboding ambience that hung in the air.

"Welcome to my training centre!" he exclaimed, walking backwards whilst facing her with his arms spread wide open.

Or your torture chamber where I will be one of your many victims.

A large childish smile was plastered across his face as if he was a young boy introducing his fort made out of chairs and blankets. Except this was no innocent child playroom.

"Dont be shy, Minah. Have a look around your new gym. Better than the one we used to go to."

She couldn't deny the fact that it was true. This place he created was a great improvement from her local gym.

As she walked further into the room, the silhouettes standing in the shadows became clearer. They were mannequins covered in dents and punctures where they'd sustained punches and stabbings from Namjoon. Thick ropes dangled from the ceiling and Minah's heart began to pace. Simply seeing it excited her. Climbing was one of her greatest strengths.

"This is very nice of you to share this space with me."

He shrugged, rocking from heel to toe, clearly uncomfortable with her rare compliment.

"Well, it made sense to do so. If we want to be succesful with your mission you need to be on the same level as myself."

She scoffed, it was arrogant of him but there was no lie in what he'd said.

He then took her back upstairs, much to her relief as it was warmer. He showed her his computer office, which was filled with black screens propped against the wall and four more desktops gracing a horshoe shaped desk. It was a place he used to hack into any digital softwares, whether it be somebody's private email or CCTV camera. Minah dumbfoundedly nodded her head as if she could understand his technical jargon.

"You do know that I am ten years behind on technological advances. There is practically no point in you teaching me these things."

He laughed. She drew her eyebrows close to each other, frowning at him.

"That wasn't a joke," she confirmed, which only made him laugh louder.

"I know but that was adora-"

"Disgusting," she spat out before he could finish his sentence, "Don't ever use that condescending word to describe me no matter how true it might be."

Namjoon raised his brows.

For the next two weeks, Minah used every oppurtunity she could garner to train in the basement training room. Mostly in the daytime, as her nights were made busy by working as a bartender, a job she despised but it paid the bills.