Behind Bars

So this is it. I have a criminal record now. Great.

The man who arrested me roughly throws me into the cell, closing the metal bar door behind me and glaring at me before striding away. I stand there by the door for a second, regretting every decision I've ever made and wondering if I could possibly get him to let me go before I finally sigh and turn around, heading to a bench on the other side of the room from the one taken by another girl. She has dark hair and pale hands, is wearing something a a lot more criminal-y than my own outfit that consists of skinny joggers and an oversized, extremely comfy hoodie, but I can't see her face because she's looking down and picking at the loose threads of a hole in her jeans. I want to not notice the spots of dried blood on the bottom half of her right leg but it's nearly impossible. That's why I didn't sit beside her.

Still, though, after five minutes of sitting in this cold, bare room I get bored.

"I'm Y/n." I say, having to clear my throat because the first attempt was silent and dry.

She responds with a grunt-like sound and a shift of her body in her seat.

"What- What are you in for?" I ask the mysterious girl, regretting it instantly when she looks up at me. She's gorgeous - mesmerising, really. Something about her bone structure seems almost primal, and perhaps it's accentuated by the wild, animalistic look in her light eyes and the perfectly bushy brows that perch above them.

She cracks her knuckles, the sound seeming to reverberate around the walls, as she slowly drags her eyes across my body. Then she speaks with a hot smirk and causal tone, "Shot a guy in the foot with a stolen gun. You?"

"I uh... I robbed an... animal shelter." I speak in broken sentences because I'm in the same room as a murderer, probably, or at least a crazy person who'd steal a gun and shoot someone in the foot with it, and she's damn near perfect-looking. Would anyone not be stuttering at this point?

"What did the guy do?" I ask after a minute's silence. Our eyes hadn't left each other's and I find myself wondering what color hers are. It's hard to tell from this far away but true definitely of a light hue.

"Thank you." She says quietly, and I frown in confusion, "Nobody's asked me that yet." Yet as in the time she's been in here? How long is that? Had... had she done something like this before?

I nod slowly and she looks away as she continues, "He..."

She shakes her head quickly and looks back up at me, "What did you steal?"

What? Is she just going to ignore the question? I probably shouldn't have asked it. She's probably crazy. Crazy and beautiful.

She probably thinks we're best friends now.

"I didn't really steal anything." I reply, and she tilts her head to the side and furrows her brows, "There were a bunch of cats they were going to euthanise tomorrow morning, and they weren't letting anyone take them tonight so I... broke in and saved them all."

That's when she tossed her head back in laughter, clapping her hands together and making me flinch.

When she returned her eyes to me they were squinting from her smile. Suddenly, she got to her feet and made her way over to me, sitting on the seat beside me and sticking her hand out to me.