Searchlights

Guysss I got this idea whilst driving home after New Years and it won't leave me alone. Aghhjjjh I actually really liked writing this. Treat this as a preview type thing, like a prologue because I might make it into a full book. Let me know what you think!

Also it's 3rd person but kinda Lauren's POV? It'll make more sense when you read it. Okay love you all, enjoy!

Searchlights circled on the land all around her; mocking her almost. Or maybe she was mocking them.

She'd been on the run for several days now, coming close to a week, but with most everyone in the country looking for her, she thought that was pretty good.

It was times like these that had her feeling the best. When her capture was so close she could almost taste it, when she could really toy with those that sought to catch her, when the adrenaline coursed through her bloodstream; That's when a wicked laugh threatened to erupt through that wicked smirk she wore so often.

Now she could hear their voices calling out to one another over the cold, hard fields. Not enough to make out their words, no, but enough to know just how frustrated they were. Her smirk grew.

Sure, she was weaker than she was before. She now lived a life on limited food supplies and abundant running. Her muscles grew a little weaker and she lost a little weight, but did she mind all that much? No. Not really. Because nights like these gave her all the energy she needed to carry on.

A bark - no, a chorus of barks now spilled over the landscape and her heart began to beat even faster. Everything was so... so enhanced. She could see the figures of policemen and women and their dogs even in the pitch-black darkness. She could hear so much more than she usually could, the crunching of the dead crops under their feet, the quiet sounds of traffic from country lanes so far away. She could smell and taste the crispness of the air around her, a certain crispness that only appeared after frost had laid or before snow would fall. She was grateful that this time it was not because of the latter. She could feel - Oh, how she could feel! - the earth beneath her feet and the cool breeze on her face and the frozen ground beneath the fingertips of her right hand as she crouched behind the hill. Every nerve ending in her body felt alive.

She felt alive.

And why was she running? What had she done that was so criminal that so many people wanted her to rot in jail?

A murmur fought its way out of her.
"Love makes you crazy."

Let me know what you think in the comments or by voting!