Chapter 13

We missed it. Our chance.

I twirled my hair into a neat and classy bun covering the whole back of my head. Put on an oversized but comfy sweater, light brown patterned with white snowflakes and wore black jeans with the combat boots underneath. I looked a bit like Drew Barrymore, especially the hairstyle. I grabbed my book bag. Was I supposed to have done homework? Didn’t matter. Not now. I’d have to talk to East. Even he must know our chances of getting that key are up in smoke. Or I think they are.

                I raced downstairs and opened the fridge to grab a PowerAde. Madison was already eating and immediately started to talk about Tristan to mom who was cooking something and reading the newspaper. Madison must not have been talking about him because my mom gave a slightly puzzled look but continued to read and flip eggs. Plus it was weird for Madison to talk about any boyfriend in front of us.  It was obvious that she was trying to get to me but, I wasn’t going to show her that it still hurt. I hadn’t cried yet, and that was sort of making me nervous. I hadn’t had much time to think about it though.

                I grabbed an apple and a pack of Twinkies then started for the door. My mom yelled “Have a nice day” and I went out. Compared to the warm air inside and the chilly air outside, I felt relieved to get out of the house. Even if I was out just yesterday. I still didn’t get sick. Don’t know what’s wrong with me. I skipped through the snow and ran through the pathway finally greeting the school bus. I hopped on and sat quietly in the back. I jumped to the ground from the stairs and slowly trotted to the doors.

                I went to my locker and then put my drink in the fridges in the cafeteria. I finally got to my seat and saw Amelia head toward me. She plunked her scrawny butt on my desk and crossed her bony legs then leaned herself back on her arms. Her hair braided to the side and she wore a really loose black sweater with hippie blue jean pants, flowers sewed everywhere. She was a sweet girl; her more than Kerry, but sometimes her dress code was deceiving.

                “Hey! So what’s goin’ on? I heard about Madison and Tristan. What’s up with that?”

                “Dunno, don’t care.” I started to unpack my books. “What’s up with the outfit?”

                “It’s warm.”

                “Uh huh.”

                “And what about you? What’s goin’ on with your hair?”

                “Um, I dunno.”

                Amelia let out a sweet chuckle and started to walk away. “See ya Drew!”

                I slouched in my seat and watched for East to stroll into the classroom. Instead Kerry came in. She didn’t look too happy. She saw me and ran over and hugged my neck burying me in an itchy orange turtle neck.

                “I’m so sorry! Mads is a witch!!”

                So that’s what she was thinking about. Last thing I wanted to think about.

                “How are you? Are you doing okay?”

                “I’m fine. I guess I didn’t love him as much as I thought. Don’t you dare tell any of that to anybody. You can’t seem to be quiet.”

                “Well excuse me. Madison already called me. Big mistake.”

                “She called you? Why?”