Chapter 10

“I’m only going out with her because that’s the only way to get close to you. You believe me right?” I was hoping this was what was really going on. I imagined Tristan comforting me with these highly unlikely words ever to flow from his mouth. I felt like I was going to dump a bucket of water into my mashed potatoes and meat loaf my eyes felt so glossy. Like only water was behind them. I cleared my throat, finished off my meat, tea and excused myself as cheerily as I could. It was hard because since she’s had many boyfriends my parents didn’t seem to care about this particular one. I guess they figured this would happen sooner or later.

                One good thing was she looked like a fool when she said, “I have an announcement to make.” Like it was a really big deal. Nowadays if she has a new boyfriend she would let it flow in the conversation or not mention it at all. They looked at her like she was an idiot. I’m sure she felt like one. But all in all, it worked. She wasn’t talking to them really. She was talking to me. And it cut deep. I could feel the dagger of her sharp words dragging a line down my heart.

                She followed me upstairs claiming she was going to the bathroom and would be right back. As soon as my parents couldn’t see us anymore on the stairs above the ceiling I turned my head looking at Madison. She had a clueless child look on her face.

                “What?”

                “I thought you hated Tristan.”

                Her face almost dropped but to take hold of herself she let out a sharp sigh. She was going to say something that would’ve given her real purpose of dating him away. Something like that anyway. Whatever she was going to say, she didn’t. “I need to go to the bathroom.” This was worse. Her not telling me, I would have to pester her. I couldn’t let her have that satisfaction. Best to ignore her. I moved aside and let her go. I turned around and started to go back downstairs when I saw her stop walking towards her room above me. “What are you doing?” She said in a panic. It stopped me in my tracks.

                “I’m going to make myself something to drink. That ok with you?” I thought I’d throw in some sass just because. I knew why she snapped at me. She thought I was going to tell mom and dad. Ridiculous. Well, maybe last year I would have. And maybe if I wasn’t up for a fight I would have. But not now. Dad would want evidence and mom would forget that I don’t like lying. But she didn’t need to know that I’d been practicing.

                I dragged myself downstairs and put on a kettle of hot water. I poured it into a large round cup and it mixed and blended with mint flavored tea. I carefully pulled myself upstairs and went to my room.               I lay in my bed, moon shining and lighting up my room. I sniffed, sniffed again, but didn’t cry. Everytime I was about to, I bit my lip, shut my eyes and covered my face with my blanket. I tossed and turned all night hoping I’d finally get some rest. That was all I wanted at the moment. In a blink night had come and gone. I jumped into some blue jeans and a dark red short sleeved top with the black heelless boots. I pulled my hair into a loose but reliable bun at the beginning of my upper back while I was running away from the house. There was no school today. It was Saturday after all. I had to get away that way Madison wouldn’t run into me. Wouldn’t talk to me. I wouldn’t have to stick around all day and see if Madison would go out, or worse, invite Tristan over.

                I was under the trees when a car was approaching behind me. It was dad. I moved out of his way when he rolled down his window. “You goin’ somewhere?”

                “Town.” I sounded so…sad. One thing I didn’t want.

                “Well, the doors unlocked. I’ll take you.”