Chapter 9

I was jumping, not walking, through the snow that was between me and the tree covered driveway taking me to “The Bench” so I could wait for the school bus. I fell once but stumbled about 5 times. Yes, I was anxious. Wouldn’t you be? Without being creped out or anything by another vampire, he would be pointed out to me.

                I woke that morning refreshed and ready to face any challenge thrown at me. I was actually in a good mood. Don’t ask why. Maybe adrenaline was slowly running into my veins and giving me an all time high of confidence. When just last night, I felt positively awful, I’m surprised that I still haven’t caught a cold, walking outside the way I did.

                I caught up on a bit of homework, repacked my books into the bag I faked the books were in and took a warm shower. Combed and blow dried my hair; twirled it into a bun on the back of my neck, put on a dark blue tank with a light blue work out sweater on top and white skinny jeans over some flat black boots.

                I tripped while getting on the bus and everyone laughed at me. I saw today Kerry didn’t ride to school with one of her family members. She waved to me excitedly; she never really rode on the bus, and dragged me beside her when I came within range.

                “The bus?” I inquired greatly with my puzzled face.

                “Well, yeah… no one could take me this morning and I hiked to one of the other kids waiting places. I got on without a word. Great huh?”

                That was Kerry. A tad shy, giddy, easy to piss off if you ignore her, and caring, even if she looked like a guy sometimes with that really short haircut. I didn’t want to ignore her, but I was very much looking forward to finding out who the other vampire was. Maybe I was giddy too. No, no I wasn’t. I felt like I might vomit. Was that a symptom of giddiness? It all started to flood down on me like I was trapped in a reservoir.  I was going to take one step closer to the truth, to the whole mess, given that I believed it… which I did. I would meet another vampire. Like I hadn’t not gotten used to the first one already, with his stupid smug smile and carefree dialogue.  And those wings.

                A shiver ran up my back and my arms. Maybe it was a good idea to talk to Kerry. But what about? I couldn’t talk about anything else, it all seemed too trivial.

                “You know, I think I have you narrowed down to why you’ve been acting a little odd lately.”

                I turned my head slowly, waiting for a stupid solution.

                “East.”

                Without screaming. As casually as I could, I asked without looking at her. “What about East?” She sat back and looked at me with a coy little smile. Oh! Not her too! I looked at her like all my energy had faded away. At that moment it felt like it had. She opened up her mouth and yawned. This little game of hers would infuriate me if she didn’t stop within the next second. Impatience triumphed again. I gave in letting her know my deep interest. “What about East?”

                “You’ve got a major crush on him. Unbelievable. You fainted outside the ballroom and thought he was there with you oh damsel in distress.”

                Did I mention Kerry can be sweet but stupid? I should mention it now. Not that I was seriously expecting her to think he was a vampire but, her logic seemed a little too close to a fantasy conclusion. I shrugged and yawned myself. Her smile disappeared and she straightened her back to look at my expression. Her presence changed from sweet to serious.