Chapter 1- Missing Piece

*Micheal and Nancy's house above*

~Micheal~

I listened to my whole family argue over muffins and cupcakes, they were choosing which is better. Nancy, Mason, and Grayson had all agreed that cupcakes were the best, but Derek, Steven, and Charlie think muffins are better. Iaughed at how determined everyone was to prove their choice was the best. 

"Daddy, what do you think?" Mason asked before shoving a spoonful of eggs into his mouth. 

Everyone's head turned toward me waiting for my answer. Of course, Muffins were better but I wasn't going to end this debate. I sighed once I thought of my missing child, my only daughter. I haven't seen her in 7 years and it breaks my heart to think she is out there somewhere without her father and siblings. 

"well Mason, I like them both equally" I chuckled trying to hide my pain with a smile. 

Everyone huff in annoyance because I was supposed to end this argument, but I only made it worse. 

"Come on! Cupcakes and better and we all know it" Grayson said sounding like he ruled the house. 

  I laughed at everyone as they argued at the table like every morning. I loved my family and wouldn't change it for the world, but I can't help but think it would be even better with my daughter here as well. 

  After breakfast, everyone left the table and continued getting ready for the day. Grayson was helping Mason, Charlie, and Steven get ready for school. Derek was getting ready for his day at the hospital since he was interning today. Nancy was making everyone's lunch and I was packing my briefcase so I could head to my office across town.

I looked over at the calendar and remembered Aria's birthday was coming up. I usually take the family out to dinner on her birthday and then we blow a candle on a red velvet cupcake before bed.  Mason and Nacy never got to meet her but I know they still like to celebrate her birthday with us. I was snapped out of my thoughts when my phone rang. 

I looked down at the caller ID and didn't recognize it. I clicked the answer button and put the phone up to my ear. 

"Hello?" I asked calmly.

"Is this Micheal Winter?" A male voice asked with concern lacing his voice.

"Yes, this is he," I said as I felt a pit in my stomach.

"My name is Officer Ryan Patton. I work with the Silver Brooke Police Department I'm sorry to inform you, But your daughter Aria Winter was rushed to the hospital last night after she was almost killed by her stepfather." Officer Patton explained. 

My heart dropped and my body felt like noodles.

"What?!? Is she okay?" I asked panicked which got everyone's attention in the house. 

I saw Nancy, Derek, and Grayson standing in front of me with confused looks on their faces. 

"I'm sorry Mr. Winter, But she is in pretty bad condition. her mother and stepfather were sent to jail last night when we entered the house. We found your name in Aria's backpack when we searched the house." Officer Patton explained 

"She is at Silver Brooke Hospital under evaluation. You are or would be her next guardian since Mr. and Mrs. Cooper are in jail."Officer Patton finished.

"Of course, I'll be there as soon as I can. I'll leave right now!" I answered holding back tears. 

I hung up the phone and held in my cries. 

"I have to go to Silver Brooke hospital" I finally said.

"Why? Dad, what's wrong?" Grayson asked worriedly.