53

Kae walked up the Waverly steps, hoping to catch her roommates getting ready for the Café Society meeting

Kae walked up the Waverly steps, hoping to catch her roommates getting ready for the Café Society meeting. She loved the idea of the four of them getting dressed together. Maybe Jasmine would loan her a top or a belt or something, saying, "This would look great on you." Kae had always wanted a sister. Sharing a room with three other girls was the next best thing. But when she pushed open the door of Waverly 303 expectantly, she found it empty, with only a trace of Jasmine's Dior perfume lingering in the air. 

Kae sighed and started to flip through her closet hesitantly, not wanting to over or under-dress since Jasmine had made a point of mentioning "appropriate dress required" in her email. She pulled her dressiest pants from their hanger, her royal blue silk ones that had cost her five months' allowance at the Barneys Warehouse Sale. They were the kind of pants that managed to look sexy and sophisticated and hide all of the wearer's flaws. No wonder rich people always looked so beautiful. They could afford to buy clothes this well made.

Kae tried pulling on a white satin baby doll camisole that she'd bought without trying it on from the sale rack at Saks, but it somehow made her look pregnant and slutty at the same time. She crumpled it up and threw it in the corner. A few other tops piled up in the corner before she settled on a silk tank and her navy, sleek-fitting blazer.

"Someone looks fabulous!" Alex cried as she barreled through the door breathlessly and immediately undressed. Alex glanced at her closet for half a second before grabbing a pair of peep-toe pumps in dark silver. Kae had seen them in InStyle and was shocked when Alex handed them to her, saying, "You're a six, right? These would look great on you."

"How'd you know I was a six?"

Alex looked sheepish. "Well, I tried on those burgundy suede boots under your bed the other day. I'm a six and a half, and I had to see if they fit."

Kae laughed, pulling Alex's shoes onto her delicate feet. "You can borrow them anytime. If they're not too uncomfortable." She turned around to find Alex fully dressed, made up, hair freshly brushed, boots on, dabbing one of her mini Chanel perfume bottle to her wrists. "Wow, you're fast," Kae remarked in total awe.

When they entered Ritoli's, the other girls were already there, sitting around one of the large circular tables in the corner. Robyn, Keke, and Jasmine all wore dresses that looked like they'd come directly from the runway. 

"Take your seats, my ladies," Jasmine greeted them grandly, taking a sip of some unidentifiable fizzy pink stuff from a bottle on the table. "We're still waiting for Sevyn and—who else?"

"Zoe," Robyn answered promptly, clearly the second in command. "There they are." She waved her ring-clad fingers at Sevyn and Zoe, who had just stepped through the door.

Alex sat down next to her, and Kae sat down in the empty seat beside Zendaya, the pretty mixed girl in her art class. 

"Hi, everyone." Kae felt like the new girl again, but she was grateful to be included in a gathering of these pretty, popular girls. She pulled out one of the plastic sports bottles that she and Alex had filled with cheap merlot and set it down on the table.