28

Aubrey stood, Henny and coke in hand, talking to Zendaya at the Black Saturday party, which was, surprise surprise, at Dave's country house in Woodstock, about an hour away from Bridgeport

Aubrey stood, Henny and coke in hand, talking to Zendaya at the Black Saturday party, which was, surprise surprise, at Dave's country house in Woodstock, about an hour away from Bridgeport. He saw Kae spill out of a Hummer with a group of field hockey girls. They were all dressed up in matching V-neck dresses. Kae's dress showed off her beautiful bronzed skin and exposed some of her bare shoulders, and he could see a skinny, cream-colored bra strap.

After the football game, Dave had handed Bridgeport's elite overnight off-campus passes and ushered everyone toward a fleet of black Hummer limos that he'd borrowed from his dad's banking firm. Aubrey had watched from a distance as Dave approached Kae, who was flanked by gaggle of admirers, kissed her primly on the cheek, and handed her a pass. Even he had to give her props for the cheer.

The party took place on the house's massive back lawn. It was warm and still out, and Dave had had the gardener install a giant white tent and rows of twinkly Christmas lights. He'd also nabbed six giant sculptures from his parents' ever-growing collection of random gallery purchases to decorate the expansive tent. The sculptures were gigantic blooming lilies, their lustrous folds reminding everyone not so subconsciously of sex. As if anyone needed another reminder of sex. After watching Kae's little routine, it was all everyone could think about.

Kae spied Aubrey and hurried over. "Hey! Where'd you go after the game?" she exclaimed brightly.

"Just took off for here a little early, I guess," he answered, then looked away fast. He still felt all messed up over this Robyn-Chris-Kae business.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

"Nothing."

"Kae, that cheer was hella fun." Zendaya squeezed Kae's hand.

"Thanks!" she replied. "Aubrey, did you see it?"

"I saw it." It would have been hard not to see it. It had been kind of slutty but kind of sexy at the same time. And his brain had felt like it was going to explode, watching both Kae and Robyn stick out their chests and smack their asses at the same time. And of course he'd relished watching Dave shrivel in embarrassment when Kae called him out on his small dick.

Kae eyed him carefully. "Seriously, you all right?"

"Eh," Aubrey murmured.

"What's the matter?" she asked again. Zendaya had shimmied away to hang around someone else. "You can tell me."

He mashed his lips together. He didn't know what he was feeling. Was he confused about Robyn? Pissed at Kae for being so into Chris? Annoyed to be back at school, period? Suddenly an alarmingly high-pitched voice pealed over the crowd.

"Kae!"

Aubrey and Kae's heads swiveled. Teyana and Keke sat across the room, on a pristine white leather couch. Alex, dressed all in black, sat on the couch's arm. Robyn stood on the other side, smoking through a thin silver cigarette holder. Aubrey's heart started thudding.