23

"I can't see," Chris mumbled, as Robyn led him blindfolded up the smooth marble stairs of the library

"That's the point. I want to surprise you." She pushed through the unmarked, heavy oak door. Beyond it were walls and walls of books, glass cases of scrolls, leather chairs, and a tiny, stained glass window. So romantic. She pulled her hands away from his eyes.

"The library?" He looked around, confused.

"Not just the library." She folded up the red satin eye mask. "Don't you remember? It's the ancient-book room! It's where we first..." She trailed off, pushing a lock of long hair behind her shoulder. What to say? Where they first consummated their love? They hadn't consummated anything. They'd made out. She'd put her hand on the outside of his pants and she'd cheated on her then-boyfriend, Aubrey.

"Yeah, I realize that," Chris replied, walking around the room, running his hands over a row of rare, dusty books.

Robyn sat down on one of the leather chairs. It was cold against the backs of her legs, and she immediately got goosebumps. "Maybe we could reenact that night?" she said softly, pulling at Chris's pale gray t-shirt. "Here, why don't you get comfortable?" 

She stood and gently pushed him into a brown leather chair. She sat in his lap and started kissing his neck. Chris slid his hand under her shirt and fingered her lacy bra. 

This was perfect. The smell of the old books, the sensual glow of the stained glass lamp in the corner, the stillness of everything. Robyn felt like she was being naughty in her father's reading room, or like she was a frustrated mistress from the 1700s who was getting a little action before they all had tea. It seemed like something out of a novel. 

Then she noticed that Chris's eyes were open. Wide open.

"What?" she asked, pulling back.

"I think that's a first-edition of Steinback," he murmured, leaning forward to get a better look at some book. "I didn't notice it here before..."

Robyn let out a frustrated sigh and pulled her knees up to her chin, cuffing Chris in the jaw as she did.

"What?" he shot back.

"Nevermind," she said quietly, realizing that the hurt in her voice was coming through way more than she wanted it to. She tried not to let the feeling that this perfect moment with Chris had just been ruined settle into her consciousness. Too late. She tried to steady her voice so it wasn't so shaky. "So I noticed you've been flirting with Kae..."

He backed away from her slightly. "Noticed? What do you mean?"

"Well, you wrote all over her arm."

He licked his lips. "Oh."

"So? Is it going okay?"

"I guess."