38

Robyn dragged the narrow heels of her new Louboutins through the dewy grass toward Chapel, the fuzz of sleep still thick in her brain

Robyn dragged the narrow heels of her new Louboutins through the dewy grass toward Chapel, the fuzz of sleep still thick in her brain. It had been three days since the Black Saturday party, but she still couldn't shake the image of Kae and Chris staring into each other's eyes by the reflecting pool. Was that even true? Dave had sent everyone a gossipy email after the party suggesting it, but she still didn't know for sure. Either way, the fact that she had set it up threatened to reduce her to a MAC-mascara-streaked mess. And if that wasn't enough, had she really gotten so drunk that she made out with Dave East (gross!) and begged her ex boyfriend to hook up with her? And had he really turned her down?

"That you, Rob?"

Robyn felt wobbly already, but when she spotted Jasmine in the chapel doorway, she was sure she'd lost her mind. Her old roommate's appearance at the top of the stone steps was as much a dream as Dean Marymount and Mrs. Davis measuring room 303 for a fourth bed last night. Their announcement that Jasmine had been suspended and not expelled for their wild night out on the playing field last spring was too fantastic to be true—yet here she was.

Robyn wanted to run and jump into her arms. She wanted to explain to Jasmine about Chris and Kae and the Disciplinary Committee and the distance between her and Alex and how Alex was secretly doing it with Mr. Jordan. She'd pretended not to know until Alex told her about the affair last night, but she'd actually been the one to slip the secret and get the whole school talking about it. Oops.

Now Jasmine, the only person Robyn had ever met who could vanish even the most serious problems with little more than a smoldering wink, was back. But a hazy corona settled around Robyn's head, and all she could do was stare.

"Hello?" Jasmine demanded loudly, interrupting her daze.

Her voice sent Robyn rushing up the chapel steps. She wrapped her arms around her old best friend, whose thin body fell limp under the pressure, and felt their classmates staring.

"I've missed you so much," Robyn blurted uncoolly, but she honestly couldn't help it. After everything that had happened, (the E fiasco, Chris coming to visit her in Barbados over the summer and telling him she loved him, the fact that he hadn't said it back and now might be into her midget-thot roommate) it was hard to stand in front of Jasmine and maintain composure. Everything about her was so effortless and cool. And no matter how confident Robyn was normally, she felt like her roommate's ugly, lame ass stepsister when they stood side by side.

While Robyn's hair was unmanageable and mostly weave, Jasmine's natural blonde curls fell perfectly in place. While Robyn wore designer clothes and only cared about owning whatever bag Kim Kardashian was carrying in that month's Vogue, Jasmine looked incredible in whatever she picked up off the floor. While Robyn had to wear a face full of makeup just to feel remotely attractive, Jasmine could leave the house barefaced and still be the most gorgeous girl in the room. And now, here she was. A million questions ran through Robyn's mind: Where the hell have you been? Why haven't you called me? Is that really a giant shark tooth on your neck? Finally she whispered a simple: "What happened?"