Chapter 19- The Palantir

Start from the beginning

A white tree stood before her, engulfed in fire. She saw the White City, Minas Tirith, being destroyed by armies of Orcs. Suddenly, she was stood in a field, before her the Gates of Mordor. Surrounding her were bodies. Bodies of men, women, and children. She walked through the battle field, her eyes falling on very familiar faces. Merry, Pippin, Frodo, and Sam lay in a heap, eyes glossy and mouths open in silent screams. She turned away to be met with Aragorn laying face down, a broken sword in his hand, his eyes wide and is body still. She turned again to see Gimli and Gandalf covered in their own blood, holes ripped through their chests, Amara turned again and let out a scream, collapsing as she saw Legolas, or the remains of the elven prince. His wounds ravaged him beyond recognition.

"They will all die!" the voice of Sauron echoed around her.

"No!" Amara shouted.

"And so will you!" Amara looked down to see a growing red spot on her chest. She collapsed to her knees before falling onto her back.

She looked up at the smoke filled sky.

"You were once the greatest assassin of middle earth. With me, you can have that glory again." Amara put her hands over her ears and shut her eyes.

"Amara Silverhood, I can see you!" Amara let out a scream.

"Gandalf!" Merry shouted as Amara ripped the Palantir from Pippin's hands. The hobbit falls to floor, his eyes wide open, still fixed on the Palantir. Gandalf wakes. Aragorn and Legolas burst into the room. Amara continues to struggle.

"Help her!" Merry shouts. Amara let's out a scream and falls to her knees, her back arced. She falls onto her side and the Palantir rolls from her grasp. Merry dodges it as it rolls still further. Amara watches the Palantir intently, images still flashing through her mind. Gandalf runs after the Palantir and throws a blanket over it. Amara lets out a breath and her eyes slip closed.

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf exclaims, but when he looks Pippin is lying still with his eyes open.

"No." He runs to Pippins side, shoving Merry out of the way. He holds Pippin's hand, puts his other hand on his forehead and closes his eyes. He mutters something inaudible under his breath and moves his hand to Pippin's cheek. Pippin jumps, gasps and wakes up.

"Look at me." Pippin looks at him.

"Gandalf, forgive me!" he closes his eyes again."

"Look at me! What did you see?" Gandalf pressed.

"A tree, there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone. It was dead. The city was burning.

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?" Gandalf asked.

"I saw-- I saw him!" Gandalf's eyes widen. Amara's unconscious body begins to shake. "I could hear his voice in my head."

"And what did you tell him? Speak!"

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer. He hurt me!"

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?"

"Nothing! I said nothing." Pippin said. Aragorn knelt down next to Amara as she began tossing and turning, seemingly lost in the midst of a nightmare.

"Gandalf." He said. The wizard turned to see the elf-dwarf begin to seize. Gandalf placed a hand over her closed eyes and began murmuring inaudibly. Amara shook more violently, her head twisting away from Gandalf's hand.

"What's wrong with her?" Aragorn asked. Gandalf shook his head.

"She had the Palantir for much longer than Pippin. He must have gotten into her mind. Hold her still!" Aragorn and Legolas held her down as Gandalf placed both his hands on her face and began chanting out in some old unknown language.