Chapter Fifteen : The Boy Who Cried

Start from the beginning

"How long haven't you eaten anything or drank water?" I asked softly because I didn't want him to feel pressurized. "Please Logan, we're here to help you. You need to answer . . . "

"What time is it?" Logan's voice came out strangled and hoarse. I said the date and time and he drawled, "Two and-and a half days."

My eyes widened, but I didn't say anything. My head whipped towards Jamal who was biting his tongue to refrain from saying anything. Up to sixty per cent of the average adult human being is made up of water and one wouldn't be able to survive without water for three to four days. I was so glad that we had come to check on Logan.

"Wait here, I'll bring something to eat," I said with a rueful smile and went in the kitchen in search of food. There was no refrigerator, but an icebox. I opened it and it was empty, but it stank like a rat had died in there. There was no oven, but a small stove. There were numerous cabinets which I kept opening and found them empty until I stumbled upon a pack of Oreos. There was oats, boxes of cereals and instant Mac and Cheese packs too, but I didn't want to cook as it would take time. I found bananas which were rotten and threw them in the dust bin. Thankfully, there was one apple that I cut open and it was fine.

I emerged out of the kitchen with apple slices and a pack of Oreos,  depending on which he preferred to eat.

"You can eat them as slowly as you want, there's no hurry," I said in a low voice and placed the plate on Logan's lap.

He initially gagged, but then quietly nibbled on a piece of apple before finishing off the rest. Jamal and I patiently watched him eat and drink. I hadn't kept an eye on the time passed, but I knew it took a lot of time for his body to adjust to the moderate amount of food and water.

"Do you want to go to the hospital for saline or something?" I asked dubiously and he suddenly looked scared. His thick eyebrows furrowed as he shook his head almost frantically. "Okay, okay, we won't go to the hospital. Don't worry."

Jamal who was silently leaning against the wall all this while, suddenly burst out, "What were you thinking dude? Just lie on the bed without food or water and die?"

"Jamie, no---"

"No Blondie, this dumbass needs to understand that he can't waste his life. There are people who care about him while he's dying on this bed," Jamal spat out and lifted the sheets. "At least he didn't piss here."

Logan was glaring at Jamal, shooting daggers at him and I tugged at Jamal's arm. "Apologise to Logan, Jamie. You can't be so insensitive, what is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? He needs to get his shit together---"

"That's not how it works!" I interjected and Logan got up from the bed, gritting his teeth. "Logan, don't listen to him. He doesn't mean what he said."

"Yo, where do you think you're going?" Jamal said in a mocking tone and caught Logan's arm. "Can't face the truth, huh? I have seen many boys like you with mamma issues---"

"What the hell, Jamie? Stop!"

"---overdosing on drugs and passing out on my lap. I have dealt with many of them and you ain't a special snowflake. All of us have our own burden and you need to learn to carry them," Jamal continued to yell in Logan's ears while poking his finger at Logan's chest who was wrestling to get away from him.

Logan was a few inches taller than Jamal but comparatively skinny. Especially after he hadn't eaten properly, I was sure that Jamal could easily overpower him. Logan tried to swat Jamal's hands away and shove him with all his might, but Jamal tried to keep a firm hold on Logan.

"Guys, guys, stop!" I yelled helplessly over the noises of Jamal's spiteful comments and there was absolute pandemonium.

Logan's face turned red, his eyes glassy and he started screaming,  which sometimes came out muted because of the gruffness in his voice. However, he didn't stop pushing Jamal away. I tried to take a step towards them, but due to the struggles, I was pushed away. Jamal didn't let Logan go by holding him by his waist from behind as Logan continued to trash. Logan's arms swung wildly, barely missing Jamal's face and Jamal quickly pulled him closer.

"Go away you fucking asshole! Get the fuck away from me! You fucking retard!" Logan snapped aggressively, raising his voice and Jamal's hold around him tightened. He continued to try and shove him, but I could see the energy draining from his body. Hot tears started rolling down his cheeks as he partly struggled and partly gave in. They both collapsed on the floor and Jamal pulled him roughly into a hug. Logan's body started shaking violently as he still weakly pushed Jamal's arms away and cried, "Make this pain stop, please. Make this pain stop . . . I-I can't take it anymore. I can't, it's getting too much."

My heart broke witnessing his vulnerable state and I swallowed the lump formed in my throat. The room was filled with his quiet sobs and Jamal's soft hushing voice. I sat beside Logan and started to rub his back, just the way he once said his mother used to do. "It's going to be okay Logan and I promise to you that things won't be the same as it used to be. You'll be alright and-and look, you won't believe this, but my grandpa bought this apartment."

Logan glanced at me while struggling to wipe his tears with his half-sleeves.

"Yeah, I'm not lying. Your problem is solved, you don't need to find a new place. See, it feels a lot better now, doesn't it?" I said with a hint of cheerfulness- like I was talking to a little child and he stared at me. I shuffled closer to him and lifting the hem of my oversized t-shirt, I wiped his face with it. "If you're feeling better, then go take a shower, you'll feel good."

"I can join you if you want." Jamal winked playfully and Logan immediately got up to head towards the shower. "Aw, man."

"Now's not the time to joke, Jamie. Alright, let's clean this place. You scrub the floor while I'll clean this area," I ordered and Jamal groaned. "Come on now, we'll tidy this place."

"You don't do much work. If you faint from exhaustion, I'll be held responsible and your mamma will whoop my ass," he muttered bitterly and I rolled my eyes. Logan was already in the shower because I could hear the water flowing. I sighed audibly.

"By the way, you riled him up purposely, didn't you?" I asked and Jamal pretended to be confused. "Don't act smart now. First I thought you were just being the bum you are, but now I understand. Although calling him names was very wrong, but I know you annoyed him deliberately so he wouldn't bottle up his emotions and let it all out."

He placed his hands on his hips and raised his chin. "Well, I'm a genius soo . . . "

"Thank you for hugging him when he needed it," I whispered while picking up the clothes from the floor and folded them. "I mean it, thank you."

Jamal's features softened before he grinned cheekily. "I know Blondie, I know."

"But don't you dare pull this again, it can backfire and would have hurt him. And dare if you call him names. I swear you might have done it unintentionally, but you'll regret it. It would be unforgivable," I warned staunchly and shot him a fierce look,  which made him nod obediently. "I mean this too."

* * *

A/N :

Jamal has his own 'mamma issues' which you will get to know in the later chapters. Also, Joy forgives Jamal easily because she always had a soft spot for him. That doesn't mean what he did wasn't wrong because he could have handled the situation way better.